If you or your love one has been injured in a motorbike accident, we want to hear your floor. The Lexington motorbike accident attorneys at Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers want to defend your rights to ride a motorcycle without having to suffer an wound at the hands of a negligent driver. Contact us or call at ( 859 ) 550-2900 .
Motorcyclists deserve the same legal protections as all other drivers on the road. unfortunately, a negligent driver who is distracted, intoxicated, or driving recklessly can completely change your animation. Because motorcycles lack the like auspices level as passenger vehicles, the results of an accident can be devastating – evening when wearing proper guard gear .
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA ), you are 28 times more probably to perish in a motorbike accident than you are in a cable car accident. The organization has besides conducted numerous studies, highlighting the dangers of motorcycle accidents, showing that :
- In 2016, over 5,000 motorcyclists died as a result of a traffic accident.
- Two-wheeled motorcycles accounted for 93 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes.
- 111 motorcyclists lost their lives in Kentucky in 2016.
Your floor deserves to be heard. Contact the Lexington injury attorneys at Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers nowadays at ( 859 ) 550-2900 for a rid reference.
Reading: Lexington Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Why Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Hiring a skilled, feel motorcycle accident lawyer increases your chances of obtaining the compensation you need to pay for your accident-related fiscal expenses and get second on your feet. Your lawyer will have an across-the-board, nuanced sympathize of the laws pertaining to motorcycle accidents, policy law, and personal injury law .
Hiring a Lexington personal injury lawyer is particularly important in Kentucky, where car policy laws can be more complicated than those of other states. Kentucky is a “ option no-fault ” car policy state, which means that drivers can opt-in or opt-out of a no-fault system of car insurance .
In a traditional no-fault system, all drivers are required to have “ personal wound protective covering ” ( PIP ) coverage, which pays for the driver ’ s personal checkup bills. even if another driver was at mistake for the accident, you can ’ triiodothyronine file a claim with their indemnity company or file a personal lawsuit against them in a no-fault organization, unless your injury title meets sealed thresholds. For example, your accident must have resulted in at least $ 1,000 in aesculapian bills, or your injuries must meet the legal definition of serious .
In Kentucky, drivers can opt-out of this no-fault system. This means that they preserve the ability to file a claim with the policy party of the at-fault driver or file a personal wound lawsuit directly against the at-fault driver. however, drivers who opt out besides assailable themselves up to being sued after an accident, if they ’ ra at blame .
Your legal serve for obtaining recompense after the motorbike accident will depend on the insurance condition of everyone involved in the accident. Because of the complicate nature of policy law in Kentucky, hiring a lawyer to support you in the aftermath of your accident is crucial .
The following include some of the ways in which an lawyer from Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers can help you :
- Answering questions about how the accident happened, what caused it, and who is at fault. Even though you were involved in the accident, it may be unclear to you what happened, especially if you were seriously injured and you were immediately taken to the hospital. Your attorney will work with investigators and law enforcement to determine what happened and who is at fault for the accident. This can include reviewing police reports, looking at medical records, and speaking with witnesses.
- Submitting a claim. Insurance companies are highly motivated to avoid paying out claims since it costs them money. They often intentionally make the process of submitting a claim confusing and time-consuming to push you to give up or take a lowball settlement. If an insurance company sees that you are represented by an experienced motorcycle accident attorney, they may be more likely to quickly offer you a fair settlement, since they know that you will be prepared to challenge them if they unfairly reduce or deny your claim.
- Negotiating a fair settlement with the insurance company. To be able to negotiate effectively, your attorney needs to have built a strong case supported by solid evidence. If the insurance company sees that you have a case likely to be successful in court, they will be more likely to quickly offer a fair settlement.
- Preparing your case for court. We will always prepare your case to go to trial, so that the insurance company knows to take your case seriously. We will be ready if the insurance adjuster fails to offer you the fair settlement you need.
Why Should I Choose Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers?
Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers is a team of highly skilled and feel legal professionals dedicated to helping our clients access the recompense they need to get back on their feet. We treat every case with the individual attention it deserves and never apply a one-size-fits-all access to legal strategy .
The attorneys at Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers, have successfully represented the hurt for decades. always since our foundation, we ’ ve been committed to being at the top of the field of personal injury litigation .
At Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers, we understand that many worry that hiring a lawyer will be excessively expensive. many motorbike accident victims who are struggling to pay massive checkup bills can not fathom taking on another fiscal expense. We work on a contingency-fee-basis, which means that we merely request payment if we win your lawsuit. At that point, we will take a share of your overall village or verdict. If we don ’ thymine acquire, then you don ’ metric ton owe us any money at all. This means that you can hire one of Kentucky ’ south best personal injury jurisprudence firms at no fiscal gamble to you .
We besides offer a 100 % barren initial consultation in which you can tell us about your accident, ask questions, and learn about your legal options .
What Types of Compensation Are Available for My Injuries?
An know lawyer can help you determine the full oscilloscope of the compensation you may be entitled to, based on the circumstances of your accident, the seriousness of your injuries, and the types of policy policies held by the parties involved .
The personal injury security ( PIP ) indemnity that policyholders carry under the no-fault policy system will broadly cover checkup bills, a dowry of lost wages, and other similar out-of-pocket costs resulting from the accident and injuries. PIP indemnity will not cover non-economic compensation, such as pain and suffer .
however, if your injuries are good and you ’ re able to pursue an injury claim against the at-fault party, or if you ’ ve opted out of the no-fault organization, you can pursue non-economic recompense, arsenic well. If you ’ re filing an wound claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party, you can pursue the come types of compensation :
- Medical expenses, past and future
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Rehabilitation services
- Property damage
- Modification to your vehicle or home
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Every driver on the road has a duty of caution. When they fail to meet this duty, they can cause a unplayful accident that can lead to severe injuries. unfortunately, there are many negligent drivers on the roads these days, and the causes of motorbike accidents continue to grow .
Some of the more common causes of motorbike accidents include :
- Distracted drivers. Drivers who fail to pay attention to their surroundings or who are distracted by a cell phone or some other electronic device are frequently at fault for motorcycle accidents.
- Driving under the influence. Drunk driving or driving while under the influence of drugs is one of the most frequently cited causes of all types of car accidents, and it is no different with motorcycle accidents. Individuals who cause an accident while under the influence are subject to both civil and criminal liability.
- Drivers failing to check their blind spot. Because motorcycles are smaller than traditional vehicles, they can be more difficult to spot when out on the road, especially for individuals in large trucks or SUVs. Unfortunately, this means motorcyclists are at a greater risk of being hit when other drivers fail to check their blind spots when changing lanes.
- Speeding. Another leading cause of auto accidents in general, drivers who fail to maintain their speed can easily collide with others. The higher the speed, the more dangerous the accident.
- Sudden stops. A motorcyclist being rear-ended by a 2,000-pound vehicle can be devastating. These types of accidents often end with serious injuries or even death.
- Failure to yield right-of-way. Many drivers fail to yield the right-of-way to motorcyclists, especially on left turns. This common cause of motorcycle accidents can be catastrophic.
- Inexperienced drivers. Inexperienced drivers tend to make unsafe movements on the road that can lead to a collision with a motorcyclist.
- Defective motorcycle parts. Manufacturers may design or manufacturer defective motorcycle parts that can lead to a motorcycle accident.
The experienced Lexington motorbike accident attorneys of Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers have won solid amounts of convalescence for our clients and we can do the same for you .
Most Common Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists much suffer more austere injuries than passenger vehicle occupants. This is largely because motorcycles lack the protective features found in cars, such as car frames, seat belts, and airbags. Motorcyclists are merely much more physically exposed than passenger fomite drivers. Some coarse injuries motorcycle riders suffer in accidents include :
Road rash: Road rash is a serious injury that occurs when bark is quickly dragged across sidewalk. Road rash can lead to serious infections, heart damage, and permanent defacement. Skin grafts are sometimes required to treat road rash .
Head injuries: Head trauma is a common wound in motorbike accidents. Wearing a helmet can dramatically decrease the hazard of a good mind injury, but many riders wearing helmets suffer traumatic brain injuries every year. Traumatic brain injuries can have dangerous and even permanent wave cognitive effects that can damage memory, cognitive function, and the ability to carry out everyday tasks .
Neck and spine injuries: wrong to the neck and/or spinal column can cause permanent loss of persuasiveness, ace, function, and mobility. such wrong can cause entire or fond paralysis, vitamin a well as chronic pain .
Arm injuries: When falling from something, humans instinctively brace for impact by reaching out their arms. If you are thrown from a motorbike, this instinct can lead to dangerous injury to your arms, such as fractures, sprains, and boldness damage .
Leg injuries: many motorbike accident victims suffer break legs, road rash on legs, tear ligaments, and severe lacerations. Some leg wrong is so serious that it requires amputation or differently leads to permanent disability .
The most holocene report available from the Kentucky State Police ( published in 2020 and analyzing crash data from 2019 ) indicates that motorcycles made up 7% of the vehicles involved in fatal crashes. This is despite data showing that less than 1 % of vehicles in all crashes in Kentucky that year were motorcycles .
Of the 1,411 motorcycles involved in crashes in 2019 throughout the state, 85 were involved in fateful accidents.
late news program articles in October 2021 picture at least 8 motorcycle fatalities occurred in that month alone on Kentucky roads .
The most holocene report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( update September 2021 ) shows that there were 5,014 people killed countrywide in motorbike accidents in 2019. That accounts for 14% of all traffic fatalities. Another 84,000 people were injured in motorbike crashes .
In 2019, motorcyclists were closely 29 times more probable to die in a crash per miles traveled than cable car passengers. Helmet function nationally among motorbike riders with passengers decreased drastically from 80 % in 2019 to 65 % in 2020. In Kentucky, at least 74 % of those killed on motorcycles weren ’ thyroxine wearing helmets .
Kentucky Law Regarding Motorcycle Permits, Helmets, and Insurance
As per Kentucky jurisprudence, individuals interested in operating a fomite within the country must obtain a Kentucky motorbike license. The beginning step to securing a KY motorcycle license is to obtain a motorcycle direction permit .
Having a permit allows drivers to enroll in a motorcycle education class, which allows you to apply for a Kentucky motorcycle license .
When it comes to wearing a helmet, “ the follow persons shall be required to wear protective headgear, in the manner prescribed by the secretary of the Transportation Cabinet, at all times the motorcycles they are riding are in motion on a public highway ” :
- A person under the age of twenty-one (21) years who is operating a motorcycle or who is a passenger on a motorcycle or in a sidecar attachment.
- A person who possesses a motorcycle instruction permit and who is operating a motorcycle.
- A person who has held a valid motorcycle operator’s license, or combination motor vehicle-motorcycle operator’s license, for less than one (1) year and who is operating a motorcycle.
It ’ second worth noting that motorcyclists should use a helmet at all times. As per the NHTSA :
- It is estimated that 1,859 motorcyclists’ lives were saved in 2016 because of helmets.
- An additional 802 lives could have been saved had the motorcyclists worn helmets.
last, but not least, in order to be compliant with Kentucky law, motorcycles must be covered with the bare minimal of indebtedness policy to help pay for property damage or bodily injuries suffered by others in a crash that you cause .
minimal coverage limits per accident should include :
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person.
- Up to $10,000 for property damage.
Be mindful that minimal liability indemnity will not cover costs to repair or replace your motorcycle. You may want to add “ collision insurance ” to your policy in order to protect your property .
If you are uncertain of what your legal rights are following a motorcycle accident, do not hesitate to contact the Lexington motorcycle accident attorneys at Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers immediately .
We serve motorcycle accident victims in the Lexington area .
Factors That Can Affect Your Motorcycle Accident Settlement
Like any other personal injury, motorbike accident cases have their own unique factors that can affect how much your claim is deserving. The team at Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers will thoroughly investigate the succeed factors to ensure that you obtain full moon convalescence :
- Whether or not the at-fault party was issued a traffic citation. This is valuable evidence that can be used to prove that another party’s negligence resulted in your injuries.
- Whether or not the at-fault party was cited with a DUI or DWI. Our attorneys will analyze the police report to determine whether drugs or alcohol were a factor in your accident.
- The type of insurance the negligent party has. Understanding the negligent party’s insurance coverage and limitations can help to uncover additional sources of recovery.
- Whether you were partially at fault for the accident. Kentucky is a “comparative fault state” which means that a plaintiff’s damages will be reduced by the percentage for which they were responsible. Our dedicated team will help you better understand your role in the accident and determine whether you are partially liable.
- The severity of the injuries that you suffered. Our Lexington motorcycle accident attorneys will review and analyze your medical bills and costs for rehabilitation, how much you lost in wages as a result of your injuries, whether your injuries will cause permanent disability or limit your ability to work, and how much you are projected to lose over a lifetime.
- Non-economic damages. Aside from physical damages, the pain and suffering caused by the accident will also play a role in how much recovery you are able to obtain.
Do not suffer in silence. Your motorbike accident was dangerous, and you deserve to be taken badly, besides .
Accident Claims Process
Although Kentucky ’ s “ choice no-fault ” car policy system is unlike from many other states, the action of filing an indemnity call is fairly standard. When filing an insurance claim, whether it is with your personal injury protection policy or the indemnity provider of the at-fault driver, you will need to file a title, consider with an policy adjuster, and negotiate a settlement .
If you haven ’ metric ton opted out of the no-fault system, you ’ ll have a certain amount of personal injury coverage. In Kentucky, you must have coverage, again, for at least $ 25,000 of bodily wound per person ( $ 50,000 sum bodily injury per accident ), and $ 10,000 for place damage. In the no-fault system, you can file a claim with the policy party of the at-fault driver, or file a personal lawsuit against that driver, if you satisfy one of the follow conditions :
- You have at least $1,000 in medical expenses.
- You’ve suffered a broken bone.
- You’ve suffered permanent disfigurement, disability, or death.
Filing an insurance claim
Your first gradation to obtaining compensation is by filing an indemnity title. When filing your claim, you must describe the circumstances of your accident and include proof of your accident-related expenses, such as checkup bills and motorcycle haunt bills. Your lawyer will help you submit your claim and ensure it is free of errors, submitted before any deadlines, and contains all necessary load-bearing documents .
indemnity companies are highly incentivized to avoid paying out claims and will find any reason possible to reduce or deny your claim. insurance companies much take advantage of injure accident victims who are struggling to live with afflictive injuries, are stressed by mounting bills and expenses, and are unfamiliar with their rights when it comes to indemnity. indemnity companies may offer such individuals very low settlements in the hopes that the individual will accept it out of fiscal desperation .
If an policy company sees that an individual is represented by a well-known jurisprudence fast with a racetrack criminal record of success, the ship’s company may be more likely to approve your claim and extend you a fair colonization. While policy companies like to avoid paying out claims, they besides like to avoid drawn-out and dearly-won legal battles against a skilled, well-prepared lawyer with a hearty lawsuit .
Dealing with adjusters
once you file an policy claim, an policy company representative ( called an “ adjuster ” ) will be assigned to evaluate your claim. They will investigate the details of your accident, verify your coverage, and determine if a settlement will be offered and if therefore, the come of that settlement .
Your indemnity adjuster might seem friendly, but you should avoid communicating with them without an lawyer present. tied the most apparently well-meaning insurance adjuster may ask you measuredly misleading or confusing questions in an undertake to get you to incriminate yourself. An insurance adjuster may ask you to sign documents, give them your medical information, or give a record argument. To protect yourself and your claim, you should consult with your lawyer before you sign anything from your indemnity ship’s company, give away any information, or answer any questions .
Reviewing settlement offers
After the indemnity adjuster is finished reviewing your claim, they will either offer a colonization or deny your claim. The first gear settlement extend may be lower than the amount to which you are entitled. Your lawyer will have a well idea of the sum of money you can expect based on the circumstances of your accident and will be able to advise you on when to take a colony and when to keep negociate. If the indemnity company denies your call, you have the right to appeal .
At Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers, we understand the crushing impact a motorcycle accident can have on an individual ’ south life. We have been fighting for our clients for decades and are passionate about helping injure accident victims get back on their feet. The aftermath of an accident is a nerve-racking and unmanageable time. We are here to support you legally while you focus on perch and recovering.
We ’ rhenium here to help. For a loose reference, contact Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers nowadays at ( 859 ) 550-2900 .
Lexington, KY Emergency Rooms
- Baptist Health Lexington Emergency Care – 1740 Nicholasville Rd, Lexington, KY 40503
- UK Good Samaritan Emergency Department – 310 S. Limestone, UK Good Samaritan Hospital, Lexington, KY 40508
- CHI Saint Joseph Health – Saint Joseph East – 150 N Eagle Creek Dr, Lexington, KY 40509
- Troy Bowling Campus – 1101 Veterans Dr, Lexington, KY 40502
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our web site .
Category : News