In this comprehensive steer, you ’ ll learn everything you need to know about entry-level digital marketing jobs including :
- Where to find digital marketing jobs
- The skills and qualifications needed
- The average salary of popular jobs for junior digital marketers
- The expected career path for each job type
- A comparison of the best entry-level digital marketing jobs
thus, if you ’ re wondering whether digital marketing is a good career choice for you and want to find out how to land your first digital marketing job, get a cup of chocolate, and let ’ s enter the excite populace of digital marketing .
BEST ENTRY-LEVEL DIGITAL MARKETING JOB
The best entry-level digital marketing job to pursue in 2022 is that of a Digital Marketing Specialist. Digital marketing specialists get a higher starting salary compared to other marketing job types and the top salary once they reach senior-level positions, is higher than other jobs.
The best entry-level digital commercialize job to pursue in 2022 is that of a Digital Marketing Specialist. Digital market specialists get a higher starting wage compared to other marketing job types and the top wage once they reach senior-level positions, is higher than other jobs.
The above graph shows how the top digital market jobs compare based on the average annual wage for entry-level professionals, mid-career professionals ( 5 to 9 years of experience ), and senior-level marketers ( more than 10 years experience ) .
Top Entry Level Digital Marketing Jobs for 2022
These are the best entry-level and junior digital market jobs for 2022 .
Entry Level Digital Marketing Specialist
A digital marketing specialist is a junior market professional with a diverse set of skills, creditworthy for the on-line forwarding of a web site using diverse digital marketing channels. Digital market specialists are normally classified into two categories :
- With no experience – holders of a university degree related to marketing, digital media, digital marketing, and/or a digital marketing certificate but no working experience.
- With some experience – professionals with 1-4 years of experience and the necessary qualifications.
Related Job Titles
Companies looking for entry degree digital commercialize specialists use these job titles :
- Remote digital marketing specialist
- Marketing specialist
- Junior digital marketing specialist
- Digital marketing associate
- Entry level digital marketing professional
- Entry level marketing associate
The average wage of entrance grade digital market specialists is around $ 40K per year. This can be broken down as follows :
- Entry Level (less than 1-year experience) – $40K
- 1 to 4 years of experience – $49K
- 5 to 9 years of experience – $71K
The average wage for digital selling managers that reach the crown of the run is around $ 86K per year, which is the highest paying wage for a digital selling job .
To work as a digital marketing specialist, you need the follow skills :
- Knowledge of what is Digital marketing and how it works
- Ability to work with PPC platforms like Google Ads, Bing Ads, and Facebook Ads
- Basic HTML skills
- Know how to use popular CMS like WordPress, Magento, Shopify
- Ability to create and analyze Google Analytics reports
- Basic SEO skills (optimizing titles, meta descriptions, working with on-page SEO)
- Basic email marketing skills (sending and optimizing email campaigns)
- Basic content marketing skills (research, write, edit and create content)
- Basic knowledge of SEO and digital marketing tools
In general, what differentiates a digital commercialize specialist from other entry-level marketing professionals, is that he/she needs to have basic skills in a act of digital market disciplines and not focus on just one area .
The best way to equip yourself with the necessary skills is to follow a digital marketing course. A estimable naturally will teach you everything you need to know to secure your first digital market speculate .
First-time digital marketing employees typically work as associates of experience digital marketers and their assigned specific tasks to execute .
For companies that choose to outsource some or all of their digital marketing activities, a digital market specialist plays the function of a affair between the company and the digital marketing representation .
To give you an estimate of what employers require when hiring entry-level digital market professionals, front at the sample distribution job posting below .
Typical Career Path
The typical career path of a digital market specialist is the watch :
- Digital marketing specialist (Entry-Level) – No experience
- Digital marketing specialist – 1 to 5 years of experience
- Digital marketing manager / Digital marketing director – more than 5 years of experience. Salary can rise to $98K per year based on experience.
- Chief Marketing Officer – The average salary goes to $170K per year.
For freelancers, there is no official career way but a deepen in title. typically have digital commercialize professionals are titled Digital Marketing Experts or Digital Marketing Consultants .
The dispute comes to years of experience, the ability to prove their expertness through success stories, and of course a higher hourly rate for their services .
The hourly rate of a digital marketing consultant can be deoxyadenosine monophosphate broken as $ 30 per hour and deoxyadenosine monophosphate high as $ 200- $ 300 per hour .
An SEO specialist is a person responsible for improving the rankings of a web site in search engines .
The need for SEO professionals ( all levels ) is on the rise and is one of the most popular job types in the digital marketing industry .
Related Job Titles
In the versatile speculate portals, companies or clients looking to hire entry-level SEO specialists use the comply job titles :
- Junior SEO Specialist
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialist
- SEO marketer
The average wage of junior SEO specialists ( according to payscale ) is around $ 51K per class rising to $ 61K for mid-career Senior SEO specialists and to $ 64K for SEO managers .
For SEO freelancers, the average hourly rate for SEO ’ mho with less than two years experience is $ 79 per hour, rising to $ 140 per hour for know SEOs ( more than 10 years ) .
To get a job and work as an SEO specialist, you need to have excellent cognition of all SEO techniques and best practices .
Unlike other entry-level digital market jobs, SEO professionals don ’ t have the luxury to learn the skills while on the job but they need to know how to work with SEO in advance .
From experience, when we hire junior SEO experts, we expect them to know how to perform assorted SEO tasks from start to finish without needing any special guidance .
If you want to pursue an SEO career, you need to build the follow skills :
- Technical SEO skills
- On-Page SEO skills
- SEO Copywriting skills
- Off-Page SEO skills
- Analytical and reporting skills
- Basic HTML skills
- Good knowledge of major website CMS
- Basic digital marketing skills
The fastest and most effective means to acquire the necessity SEO skills is to follow an SEO certification program. good SEO courses will give you examples and bit-by-bit instructions on how SEO works in practice and not fair in theory. In summation, becoming SEO certified is an asset for your CV and can make a remainder when applying to work as a Junior SEO with no experience .
The accurate tasks you may be asked to execute as an SEO professional depends on the nature of the business and the way the digital selling department of a company is structured. But, there are some common tasks that apply to many SEO subcontract postings .
here is a real exemplar of a job posting looking for an entry-level SEO specialist .
It pretty much summarizes the tasks you ’ ll need to perform that include :
- Monitoring and analyzing the performance of the website in the search results
- SEO optimizing landing pages and making other SEO related changes
- Performing A/B SEO tests
- Performing keyword research and market research
- Optimizing the on-page SEO of a website
- Using modern SEO practices to improve the visibility of a website in search engines
- Make sure that the website is found on Google for relevant searches
- Performing SEO Audits
- Working with various SEO tools
Typical Career Path
The typical career path of an SEO specialist is the follow :
- Junior SEO Specialist – Just getting started with SEO, has no experience. Holder of a Bachelor’s degree and SEO certification (optional).
- Mid-Level SEO Specialist – 1 to 5 years of experience with a good understanding of SEO and experience with various SEO projects.
- SEO Expert – Highly experienced SEO professionals with a number of success stories to share and be proud of.
- SEO Manager/SEO Director – the person leading the SEO department of a company. Besides excellent SEO skills, he/she needs to have good HR and management skills.
- SEO Consultant – High-confidence Individuals with years of experience in the industry proving SEO advice to companies and other SEO experts.
Content Marketing Specialist
Another popular entry-level digital marketing job is that of a content marketing specialist. A content specialist is responsible for researching, writing, and editing content for the needs of a digital marketing campaign .
If you want to get an entry-level market subcontract and have no experience with digital selling, then this is the job type to go after .
The rationality is that for a junior contented marketing specialist, all is needed is effective writing skills. even if you know nothing about digital commercialize or subject commercialize, you can still get a job if you know how to inquiry and write dear content .
It should be emphasized that the responsibilities of a message seller do not end with content writing. In holy order to make a career in content selling and go after the highest-paying jobs in the field, you need early skills as well ( see below for the details ) .
Related Job Titles
Employers use different titles when looking to hire entry-level content market specialists, the most popular are :
- Content Specialist
- Junior Content Specialist
- Digital Content Specialist
- Web Content Specialist
- Content Writer
- eCommerce Writer
- Content Marketing Specialist
- Content Marketing Associate
The average wage of a junior content specialist is around $ 35K per class. It ’ s a depleted wage compared to entry-level digital marketers and SEOs but it can go up to $ 139K per year when you climb up the content selling ladder .
An alternative to getting a job as a junior content marketing specialist is to work as a mercenary content writer. good freelancers may get $ 1000 for an article and depending on how fast you can produce content and how effective the content is, you can make more money than getting a formal problem .
As a mercenary, you can work from home, and as you get more clients you can even start your own online business .
The first essential skill all content commercialize professionals should have is a sexual love for writing. You ’ ll not be able to make a career in content market if you hate to write .
It is true that as you advance your career you may not have to write the content yourself but still if you ’ re not the type of person that likes to read and write, content commercialize is not for you .
With that being said, the skills and qualifications needed for entry-level message marketers are :
College degree – To get a job in a big means or company you ’ ll necessitate to have a Bachelor ’ s degree in marketing, journalism, communications, or other subjects related to market or literature .
Content marketing certification – This is optional but highly recommended for candidates with no working have .
A certificate does not guarantee that you ’ re an adept on capacity selling but from experience, employers prefer to hire certify professionals because it shows that the candidate knows the basics and has the willingness to learn .
The most efficient way to get certified is to follow a content marketing course Research and writing skills – You may be asked to create capacity on topics that you ’ re not an expert and frankincense it ’ second authoritative to know how to do proper inquiry and write high-quality contented. effective cognition of the english linguistic process is besides a requirement .
SEO copywriting skills – Besides writing content, you ’ ll besides need to know how to make it search engine friendly. This is known as SEO copywriting and it ’ s a subset of SEO .
Content marketing tools – All content marketing-related job postings require candidates to know how to use contentedness market tools. The most popular is the Google keyword instrument, Google Search Console, SEMRush, Ahrefs, and Moz ,
Web analysis and reporting tools – Knowing how to use Google Analytics and Google data studio although not required, it ’ s an extra qualification .
An entry-level content selling professional is expected to perform a count of tasks related to writing subject .
The example below shows a typical caper posting lotion looking for a junior capacity marketing specialist .
As you can see besides creating compelling contentedness and story-telling, it is required to have a good understand of assorted metrics and tools ( like Google Analytics ) and presentation skills for collaborating with aged team members .
Typical Career Path
The typical career path of a contented professional is the follow :
- Content Specialist (entry-level)– responsible for creating content. Makes around $35K per year.
- Content Marketer – creating content and running content marketing campaigns. Experienced content marketers make around $50K per year.
- Content Strategist – responsible for creating a content marketing strategy. It can lead a team of one or more content specialists. It can make up to $95K per year.
- Content Marketing Manager – Makes around $98K per year. It’s the person responsible for all the content marketing activities of the company.
- Content Marketing Director– Big companies have the role of a content marketing director. The salary in some cases goes up to $139K per year.
Social Media Manager
A social media coach is the person responsible for managing the sociable media bearing of a company. The social media coach works closely with the digital commercialize and content commercialize managers to ensure that whatever is published on social media, is aligned with the marketing goals of the company .
When you get an entry-level social media job with no experience, you ’ ll be expected to publish posts on assorted social networks like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok .
As you climb up the ladder, your responsibilities will be to design social media campaigns and analyze their impact, and not necessarily create capacity .
Related Job Titles
Companies searching to hire junior social media managers, use these job titles when posting a job :
- Social Media Manager (Entry-Level)
- Junior Social Media Managers
- Social Media Manager Associate
- Social Media Manager Assistant
The average wage of junior social media managers is around $ 40K per year .
In particular :
- Entry-Level Social Media Manager (less than 1-year experience) – $39K per year
- Early Career Social Media Manager (1-4 years of experience) – $49K per year
- Social Media Managers (5-9 years of experience) – $60K per year
To work as a social media professional you need the follow skills and qualifications :
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or related field
- Experience with Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and other popular networks
- Understanding how advertising works in all social media platforms, especially Facebook
- Experience with social media management tools like Buffer and OnlyPult
- Basic image editing skills and experience with image editing tools like Appy Pie Design, Canva, Photoshop, or related
- Basic Video marketing skills
- Google Analytics skills
- Good content marketing skills
- Basic digital marketing skills
The occupation of a social media director varies depending on the needs of a party or agency. In most cases though, companies looking to hire an entry-level social media coach want person to update their social media pages with engaging content, answer to comments, and monitor the operation of social media campaigns using assorted KPIs .
The job posting below is a very good exemplar of a typical entry-level job in social media.
Typical Career Path
Unlike other entry-level digital marketing roles, the career path of a social media director is not clearly defined .
basically, there are two positions for social media professionals. Junior sociable media managers whose job is to update social media pages with capacity and experience sociable media managers that are responsible for running social media campaigns .
so, this is a good caper for those who like working with social media networks but career-wise, there are other jobs ( like SEO, digital market director, content coach ) with better career progress opportunities and higher salaries .
PPC Specialist (SEM)
A PPC specialist, normally referred to as SEM Specialist or Paid Ads Manager, is the person responsible for running paid search campaigns on Google, Bing, and other networks .
normally, employers of PPC specialists are digital market agencies looking for professionals to manage and optimize the PPC campaigns of their clients .
During our research, we did find a few big companies looking for experience PPC managers but for entry-level positions, most job postings were from marketing agencies .
Related Job Titles
other Job names related to PPC specialists are the trace :
- Paid Ads Manager
- Paid Marketing Manager
- Paid Seach Tech
- Entry-Level Paid Search (SEM) Coordinator
- SEM Specialist Trainee
- Digital Advertising Specialist
- Junior Associate, Paid Search
- Junior Online Advertising Specialist
The average wage of an entry-level Search Engine Marketing Specialist is about $ 41K per year. It increases to $ 47K per year for mid-career professionals ( 5-9 years of experience ) and then maximizes to $ 56K per year ( regardless of years of experience ) .
The substantive skills for PPC specialists are :
- Very good knowledge of the different PPC platforms especially Google Ads, Bing Ads, and Facebook Ads.
- Keyword research skills with the Google keyword tool and other professional tools like SEMrush, Ahrefs, etc
- Google Analytics and Google Data manager skills
- Google Data Studio Skills.
Google Ads certified professional. A big way to prove your competence in Google Ads is to get certify and become a
The job responsibilities of a PPC specialist are to manage and optimize PPC campaigns. The daily tasks include :
- Conducting keyword research
- Monitoring the performance of paid campaigns
- Creating new ads / optimizing existing ads
- Analyzing campaign performance and creating reports
- Performing competitor analysis
The following job posting summarizes what is needed to get an entry-level job as a PPC professional .
Typical Career Path
The career path for paid advertising professionals is childlike compared to early digital commercialize professionals .
When you get the job with no experience, you ’ ll perform tasks assigned to you by senior PPC specialists until you show that you can handle campaigns on your own. At this bespeak, you ’ ll become a PPC coach or PPC technical and continue doing the same oeuvre for the lie of your career .
Online campaigns have a continuous indigence for graphics whether this is a vane design, ads, infographics, charts, or illustrations and they have a working relationship with a graphic architect .
bad companies and agencies prefer to have their in-house graphic designs team but small businesses normally outsource this tax .
therefore, if you ’ re a skilled graphic architect ( with or without experience ), there is a place for you in the digital market industry .
Related Job Titles
When searching for a graphic design problem, make surely that you check these job titles equally good :
- Graphics Design Assistant
- Entry-Level Graphic & Web Designer
- Entry Level Graphic Designer
- Entry-Level Visual Designer
- Design Intern
- Associate Graphic Designer
The average annual wage for an entry-level graphic interior designer is $ 38K .
- Designers with 1 to 4 years of experience get $43K per year.
- Designers with 5 to 9 years of experience get $49K per year.
The most common requested skills are :
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, graphic design, marketing or related field
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Good writing skills
- Knowledge of popular design tools like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Ability to work with popular CMS like WordPress
- Good knowledge of CSS and HTML5
graphic designers are expected to create ocular designs for the needs of assorted digital marketing campaigns .
Unlike early digital selling jobs, to work as a world wide web designer you need endowment. Anyone can learn how to use Photoshop but to create outstanding designs to fulfill the aim of an ad or a presentation, you need to have talent .
so, before considering making a career as a ocular designer, ask yourself if you can compete with the hundreds of talented designers and if you have something different to offer as an on-line artist .
When you ’ re ready for the challenge, hera is a typical problem posting that summarizes what employers are looking for when hiring entry-level graphic designers .
Typical Career Path
The career path of a graphic architect is elementary. You start as an companion and follow the instructions of senior graphic designers and as you gain experience, you get to handle projects on your own. graphic designers with good HR skills can lead the graphics design team .
In a company social organization, the graphics team is normally immediately under the supervision of the digital selling director .
Affiliate Marketing Manager
Affiliate market managers are creditworthy for managing the on-line consort marketing platform of a company. not all companies have an affiliate program so the demand is not so big compared to other digital selling jobs but the wage is good particularly for growing consort programs .
Related Job Titles
If you ’ rhenium interested in pursuing a career as an affiliate market coach, count for job postings that have these titles :
- Affiliate Marketing Strategist
- Associate Affiliate Manager
- Affiliate Manager (Entry-Level)
- An affiliate marketing associate can expect to make $46K per year.
- An early career affiliate marketing professional makes around $54K per year.
- Experienced affiliate marketing managers make $62K per year (5 to 9 years of experience) and $71K per year (more than 10 years of experience).
Have in mind that in some cases affiliate marketers work with a basic wage + commission. then, the better results you can deliver for the party, the higher will be your wage .
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, sales, or related fields
- Good knowledge of digital marketing
- Good knowledge of eCommerce marketing
- Good writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
The responsibilities of an affiliate seller are to promote the affiliate platform of the company. By promoting we mean to find new consort partners and shape with them to increase their sales .
big affiliate programs offer personal support to their affiliate partners and this is separate of the job responsibilities of affiliate managers .
hera is a typical subcontract application looking for an affiliate market coach .
Typical Career Path
As an companion, you will be trained to find modern business partners and as you become more know you can be in charge of a team of associates or finally become the affiliate market coach of the company .
How Do I Get a Job in Digital Marketing with No Experience?
To secure your first digital market job, follow these four steps :
Getting your first entry-level on-line selling occupation can seem like a big challenge, specially when you don ’ t have any work experience .
But that ’ mho ok, none of the digital commercialize professionals had anterior experience when they first started .
The adept news is that there are a phone number of things you can do, to equip yourself with the necessary skills and qualifications so that when you apply for a job, to have more chances of getting hired .
once you are in the plain, with hard exercise and extra train, you can go from junior to expert or flush director, earn more money and cover with the more concern aspects of digital market .
1. Build your digital marketing skills
The first gear dance step is to build your digital commercialize skills. even if you have a degree in market or other relate fields, this is not enough to land your first job .
We ’ ve been hiring entry-level digital marketers for years now and I can tell you that the last thing we look at, is the University degree. The reason is elementary. University degrees are good in teaching the hypothesis of digital marketing but when it comes to real-life scenarios, you need more than that .
We don ’ metric ton expect associates to have the like cognition and skills as experts, that ’ s very well since they have no working experience, but we do expect candidates to prove that they are passionate about digital marketing .
To be more accurate, you can not apply for a digital market job and have no web site of your own. There is no excuse .
You shouldn ’ metric ton ’ expect to get a subcontract and then learn how to create a website, spell content, work on SEO, etc. These are skills that you can easily build while at the university or evening high school using the hundreds of determine resources and online courses you can find on the Internet .
so, if you want to differentiate yourself from other entry-level candidates, show your future employer that you have what it takes to work as an on-line marketing professional .
2. Choose your career path
Digital market is not a single discipline but it consists of a number of on-line commercialize channels. Each duct has its own career path and caper roles .
A distinctive digital marketing team has the follow members and job roles ( from right to left ) :
- Digital marketing director > Digital marketing manager > Digital marketing specialist
- SEO director > SEO manager > SEO expert > SEO specialist
- Social media manager > Social media specialist
- PPC director > PPC manager > PPC specialist
- Content director > Content marketing manager > Content specialist
- Affiliate marketing manager > Affiliate marketing specialist
As you have seen above, not all jobs are equal. Some entry-level jobs pay more and have bigger career opportunities so it ’ south better to choose your career path from the begin .
To make your decision, consider the trace :
- What do you like doing?
- Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team?
- Do you like writing and creating content or do you prefer looking at statistics and creating reports?
- Do you like managing people or do you prefer to stay on the technical ladder?
- What is your main objective, to climb the corporate ladder or become an entrepreneur and start your own digital marketing agency?
After reading about the best digital marketing jobs, you ’ ll be able to answer the above questions and it will be easier to decide which way to follow .
3. Do some freelancing work (even for free)
I know that it ’ s not easy to get hired as a digital marketing freelancer if you have no know but that does not stop you from offering your services for loose. Why you should do this ?
It will make a huge difference when applying for a job to have something to talk about that shows that you ’ ra confident in your skills .
I ’ ve mentioned above that you decidedly need to have your own web site and web log but if you want to take it a step far you can build a small portfolio besides .
I ’ m certain that person you know ( friends, relatives ) has a web site or business. offer to do some make for them without getting paid for it. In most cases, cipher will refuse a web site redesign if its ’ for barren or a technical SEO review .
There are many tasks you can perform even if you ’ re not experienced that can help you differentiate your job application from the rest .
Put yourself in the employer mentality. Who would you hire, person that has no feel but made no effort to learn and experiment or person that is actively looking for ways to improve and become better ?
4. Prepare for the interview
Let me give you some tips on how to prepare for your digital marketing job interview. My advice is based on the questions we ask when we hire new associates but I ’ megabyte surely other employers follow exchangeable tactics .
- Be on time, whether its a physical interview or online
- Get to know as much as you can about the company – what services they offer, who is the manager, when the company was founded, etc
- When asked a specific question about a digital marketing technique, don’t tell them the theory (they already know this) but the practical steps you would follow to complete the specific task.
- When you don’t know an answer, be honest. It’s better to say ‘I don’t know’ rather than give a wrong answer.
- Be yourself. There is no reason to panic. If you don’t do well in this interview, learn from your mistakes, and apply for the next one.
Where to Find Entry-Level Digital Marketing Jobs?
There are many websites you can use to find entry-level digital market jobs and solve for a company remotely ( work-from-home jobs ), work as a mercenary, or work in an agency with the distinctive 9 to 5 .
If you want to work for a company ( either remote or physical presence ), the best places to find an entry-level selling job are :
If you want to work as a distant freelancer and get clients directly, the best sites are :
When you apply for a caper on any of the above websites, make sure that :
You apply fast – Digital selling jobs are in high gear demand right now and once you post a speculate, you get tens of applications within a few hours. Employers may not review all applications if they find what they want so the fast you can reply the better .
You can monitor those websites day by day and prepare your draft answers in advance based on the requirements of existing caper postings. This means when it ’ sulfur time to apply, you ’ ll adjust your replies and submit your application .
You answer all the questions – Read cautiously the job requirements and answer all raised questions. Employers look at these details. The first impression counts and if you fail to follow their instructions it is improbable that your application will make it through the screening action.
Read more: The Best Wi-Fi Range Extenders for 2022
Be honest – When asked to describe your have, don ’ metric ton lie. Don ’ thyroxine forget that besides the written application, you ’ ll besides need to pass the interview and if you ’ re catch lying about your skills or experience, you ’ ll have no chances of getting hired .
Digital Marketing Jobs: The Bottom Line
Working in the digital market diligence is a big career option. There are hundreds of entry-level digital market jobs to choose from and the requirement is constantly rising .
The best entry-level job for commercialize professionals is that of the Digital market specialist. Digital marketing professionals get higher salaries and have more career progress opportunities compared to other market jobs .