Table of Contents
Location map of Hornsby based on NASA satellite images Hornsby is a suburb in the Upper North Shore Sydney region of Sydney, in the australian state of New South Wales 23 kilometres ( 14 mile ) northwest of the Sydney cardinal business district. It is the administrative center of the local anesthetic politics area of Hornsby Shire.
Reading: Hornsby, New South Wales – Wikipedia
history [edit ]
The name Hornsby is derived from convict -turned- constable Samuel Henry Horne, who took part in the apprehension of bushrangers Dalton and MacNamara on 22 June 1830. In return he was granted land which he named Hornsby Place. The suburb of Hornsby was established on the traditional lands of the Darug and Kurringgai people. There are more than 200 know Aboriginal sites in the Hornsby Shire. [ 2 ] The first european settler in the area was Thomas Higgins, who received a grant of country in Old Mans Valley. The Higgins syndicate finally established the individual Old Man ‘s Valley Cemetery, where family members were buried from 1879 to 1931. The cemetery still exists and is heritage-listed. [ 3 ] A railroad track station named “ Hornsby Junction ” opened on 17 September 1886 to the north of the town of Hornsby, which had developed on the locate of Horne ‘s grant. It formed the junction of the Northern Line and the North Shore Line which were however to be completed at that time. [ 4 ] Hornsby station was one intercept further south on the Northern Line. Due to confusion by commuters alighting at the wrong place expecting to transfer to a get in touch trail, the old Hornsby station was renamed Normanhurst on 17 November 1898 [ 5 ] after big local activist and mastermind Norman Selfe, while the Hornsby Junction station assumed the current name of Hornsby. The first Hornsby Post Office opened on 1 August 1864, and was renamed South Hornsby on 1 May 1900, the like day Hornsby Junction function near the railway place ( open since 1887 ) was renamed Hornsby. The latter office remains open ; the South Hornsby office was renamed Normanhurst in 1905. [ 6 ] residential emergence in the area was left to private developers, who acquired land both east and west of the railway station. Realizing that working class housing tended to be close to railway stations, the developers aimed at providing the middle classes with quality house further from the station, in areas with views. One of the first gear purchasers of land in the sphere was Annie Roberts, wife of Oscar Garibaldi Roberts, who became one of the first councilors in the Hornsby Shire. Having acquired a place in Rosemead Road, the Roberts family built “ Mount Errington, ” a spectacular mansion in the Arts and Crafts style, now heritage-listed. [ 7 ] The Roberts family belated acquired twelve blocks of estate, which were then sub-divided into twenty-three blocks and offered for sale as the Roberts Mount Errington Sub-division. The area proceeded to grow as a prestige house estate, featuring a number of houses in the Federation stylus. One of them was Birklands, a heritage-listed, Federation house built in 1902 in Dural Street. The firm was originally built for Louis Spier Roberts and his wife Elizabeth, and stayed with the Roberts class until 1938. [ 8 ] The Hornsby Shire Council was established in 1906. In 1961, The Westfield Group built a shopping plaza at Hornsby, making it one of the first suburbs in Sydney with a modern-style denounce center. A competing denounce center, Northgate, opened in 1979 but was finally bought by Westfield. In late 1999, the two sites were amalgamated when the original Westfield was demolished and Northgate was renovated to create the fresh Westfield Hornsby which opened in November 2001 .
Landmarks [edit ]
- Hornsby Water Clock
- Odeon Cinema, Pacific Highway
- Hookhams Corner is the junction between the Pacific Highway, Carrington Road, Galston Road (which goes to Galston) and Old Berowra Road. It is also the name of an unbounded locality encompassing the area, as well as the site of two large water storage tanks that supply the surrounding area. It is at
- Hornsby RSL Club
- The Leonard House
inheritance listings [edit ]
Hornsby War Memorial Hornsby has a number of items listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register or the local anesthetic Government Heritage list :
conveyance [edit ]
Hornsby is 25 kilometres ( 16 myocardial infarction ) by educate and about 24 kilometres ( 15 myocardial infarction ) by road from the Sydney central clientele district. Hornsby railway station is the junction of the T1 North Shore and the T9 Northern Line of the Sydney Trains net and is a hub for some services and is connected via bridge to Westfield. There are frequent railway services to the cardinal business zone via Strathfield or via Gordon. Intercity and regional trains besides stop at Hornsby on the way to the Central Coast, Newcastle and farther north. Bus services operate from Hornsby Station Interchange. Services are operated by Transdev NSW. Transdev NSW operates bus services to local residential areas including Hornsby Heights, Westleigh, Normanhurst, Thornleigh, Wahroonga, Warrawee, Turramurra and St Ives Transdev NSW operates one hybrid regional service from the Hornsby Interchange with ;
- Route 575 to Macquarie University via Wahroonga, Turramurra, Pymble, Macquarie Park and Macquarie Centre; and
Hillsbus operates one path :
Hornsby Interchange is served by two NightRide bus routes with :
- Route N80 – to Town Hall via Strathfield operated by Busways; and
- Route N90 – to Town Hall via Chatswood operated by Busways.
The Pacific Highway, which passes through Hornsby, was once the main road connect between Sydney and north-eastern Australia. The completion of the Pacific Motorway ( M1 ), which has its southerly end at the neighbouring suburb of Wahroonga, means that the heavy traffic now bypasses the already interfering Hornsby town area. [ 16 ] In October 2020, the northernmost department of the NorthConnex tunnel besides located in near proximity to Hornsby in the neighbor suburb of Wahroonga was opened. The open of the NorthConnex was a key missing connect to the Sydney Motorway network and its unfold provides address connectivity from the M1 to the Sydney orbital expressway network through a direct underground connection to the M2 and M7 motorways and beyond. The burrow besides provides an interchange road to the Sydney CBD, Ryde area and Eastern and Inner West suburbs via the Lane Cove Tunnel, bypassing the congested Pennant Hills Road and Pacific Highway .
commercial areas [edit ]
Hornsby Shire Council Chambers Hornsby remains a busy commercial center, just as it was a century ago. Over the years, the town center has developed distinct characteristics on either slope of the railway line. The westerly side consists of a traditional high street shop greenwich village along the Old Pacific Highway. A abruptly section of the highway north of the shops still has several antique lamp posts preserved. On the easterly side of the highway from south to north are the patrol place, the woo house [ 17 ] and the historic Hornsby Shire Council chamber ( built in two stages in 1915 and 1930 ). On the western side is Hornsby Park with the fresh Hornsby Aquatic Centre complex and besides Hornsby TAFE. [ 18 ] A large war memorial and the adjacent RSL Club is located at the southerly end of the shops. The eastern side is dominated by Westfield Hornsby, a shop center, which features a David Jones department store, an Event Cinemas multiplex, 335 stores, a food court and several restaurants. The overlap of Florence Street and Hunter Street became a pedestrian promenade in the early 1990s. At the center of the pedestrian plaza is a big water clock sculpture, designed by Victor Cusack. The public library, Hornsby Shire Library, is besides located in this sphere. The north-western side of the suburb is occupied by versatile industries and the northerly goal of Hornsby features a major railway workshop .
residential areas [edit ]
A bungalow house, representing the low-to-medium density house that typifies Hornsby. residential areas, consisting of low-to-medium concentration caparison, are located on both sides of the railroad track line. many of residential areas on the western side of the gearing line enjoy bushy surrounds and close proximity to Regional and National Parks, angstrom well as the beautiful Lisgar Gardens.
In holocene years, high-rise apartments have been constructed adjacent to the discipline tune as part of the NSW country planning policies to allow medium to high concentration development along transport corridors .
Schools [edit ]
Hornsby is home to a phone number of schools, including primary schools Hornsby North Public School, Hornsby South Public School, Hornsby Heights Public School and Clarke Road Special School and the secondary schools Barker College and Hornsby Girls ‘ High School, which is a selective school. There is besides a TAFE College at the north-western side of Hornsby .
culture [edit ]
Hornsby has long been associated with Ginger Meggs, [ 19 ] a cartoon by Jimmy Bancks who grew up in Hornsby, which has appeared in australian newspapers since 1921. The local newspaper that serves the area is the Hornsby and Upper North Shore Advocate, owned by the Cumberland Newspaper Group .
Hornsby Aquatic Centre [edit ]
Hornsby Aquatic Centre, which was built in 1962, had reached the end of its safe work liveliness, and was closed on Friday 24 December 2010. It had featured a fifty-metre pool with 8 lanes and a small twelve-metre pool, besides with 8 lanes. A fresh consortium was built and opened on 11 August 2014. [ 20 ]
Parks and gardens [edit ]
- Edgeworth David Garden
Coringah, former home of Edgeworth David in Edgeworth David Garden, former home of Edgeworth David in Edgeworth David Garden The scientist and explorer Edgeworth David lived in Hornsby towards the end of his life sentence. His house, known as Coringah, was located on a property at the corner of Burdett Street and Sherbrook Road, and included a large garden. This property had primitively been obtained in 1901 by Edward Swain, who built the bungalow that hush stands. The property was purchased by Edward Lear in 1916 and then by Edgeworth David in 1920. David ‘s wife continued to live there after his death in 1934. After David ‘s death, subsequent owners preserved the garden, until Hornsby Council acquired the place in 1999. It is now known as Edgeworth David Garden and is open to the populace. It is heritage-listed. [ 21 ]
- Lisgar Gardens
Fishponds in Lisgar Gardens Lisgar Gardens are located in Lisgar Road, west of the Pacific Highway. The gardens were created by Max Cotton, who lived in Lisgar Road. In 1920, Cotton purchased nation from his brother Leo and began developing the gardens for his own interest and satisfaction. With these gardens, Cotton could indulge his interest in gardening and genetics. Aided by friends and class, he created extensive gardens and fishponds on the natural bushland that sloped down from Lisgar Road. cotton became friends with Professor Eben Gowrie Waterhouse—owner of Eryldene in the suburb of Gordon —and the two exhausted much time together, sharing an interest in camellia. By the mid-1960s, Cotton ‘s health was failing after forty-five years of working on the gardens, and they were acquired by Hornsby Council. They were officially opened to the public on 21 September 1968. They are heritage-listed. [ 22 ]
- Florence Cotton Park
This park consists of a extend of natural bushland between Frederick Street and Lisgar Gardens. Jimmy Bancks Creek runs through the park. Birdlife is varied and includes currawongs and brushturkeys. Hornsby Council has constructed a walking track that goes from Frederick Street to Lisgar Gardens. The parking lot is named after Florence Cotton, wife of Leo Cotton, and was part of their estate. Florence Street in Hornsby was besides named after her. [ 23 ]
- Ginger Meggs Park
plaque in Ginger Meggs Park This park is located in Valley Road and is named after Ginger Meggs, a comic-strip character created by the australian cartoonist Jimmy Bancks. Bancks spent much time in the sphere around this parking lot during his childhood, then Hornsby Council named it after his celebrated character Ginger Meggs. A nearby creek was named Jimmy Bancks Creek. The park was officially named Ginger Meggs Park during a formal name ceremony by the Mayor of Hornsby, John Muirhead, on 26 July 1997 .
- Hornsby Quarry
The prey, located at the end of Quarry Road Hornsby, [ 24 ] was partially filled, to make it safe, using excavated material from the NorthConnex burrow which was built by the NSW Government and completed in 2020, to link the M1 and M2 motorways. For geological reasons the prey has been nominated as State Heritage. The Quarry plan was completed in the first quarter of 2019. [ 25 ] A $ 50 million state of matter budget will be allocated to turn the prey into a future recreational park. [ 26 ]
population [edit ]
In the 2016 Census, there were 22,168 people in Hornsby. Of these, 49.0 % were male and 51.0 % were female. The median old age of people in Hornsby was 36 years. The most common ancestries in Hornsby were chinese 17.1 %, english 16.8 %, australian 14.0 %, amerind 5.9 % and irish 5.6 %. 44.4 % of people were born in Australia. The most coarse countries of birth were China 11.9 %, India 5.7 %, South Korea 3.7 %, England 3.0 % and Nepal 2.7 %. 46.5 % of people lone spoke English at home. other languages spoken at family included Mandarin 13.2 %, yue 5.1 %, korean 4.5 %, Nepali 2.9 % and persian 2.4 %. The most common responses for religion in the Census were No Religion 33.1 %, Catholic 17.7 % and anglican 10.0 %. [ 1 ]
luminary residents [edit ]
gallery [edit ]
- Barker College
- Hornsby Girls High School
- Mount Errington
- Hornsby Park
- Hornsby Court House
- Odeon Cinema
References [edit ]
far reading [edit ]
- Ollif, Lorna (1975). There Must Be a River (A History of Hornsby Shire). Ollif Publishing Co. ISBN 0-9599183-1-0.