car accidents are a fact of life in Los Angeles and throughout Southern California. And while we don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate think about getting into an accident when we ’ re in our cars, accidents can and do happen. If you were injured in a car accident due to person else ’ s negligence or recklessness, call The Dominguez Firm for a dislodge consultation at 800-818-1818 today. We ’ re available 24/7 to take your call .
The Dominguez Firm has over 30 years of experience helping car accident victims obtain the recompense they ’ re entitled to. Our award-winning Los Angeles car accident lawyers, skilled investigators and client-oriented staff allow us to go toe-to-toe with insurance companies and their attorneys. And if the policy companies refuse to compensate you fairly, we have the fiscal resources to go to trial. not all personal injury police firms can say the same. Some will settle for less in rate to minimize their costs or refer your case out because they can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate handle it in-house.
For over 30 years, The Dominguez Firm has successfully resolved thousands of Los Angeles car accident cases, and cases throughout Southern California. We have recovered over $1 billion * for grateful clients and will work to do the same for you .
Below you ’ ll find some of the most coarse questions we receive from car accident victims and how we can help you .
Do you need to hire a car accident lawyer?
If you ’ ve been in a car accident, you may be asking yourself whether you need to hire a car accident lawyer. If you ’ ve suffered an wound, then yes, you should consult with a car accident lawyer. That ’ s because flush accidents that appeared to be minor at first can later prove to be complicated. When the accident happens, you may be in shock and unaware of any injuries. They may take clock to appear and when they do, they can cause severe annoyance and complications. In situations such as these, it is essential to have a car accident lawyer by your side .
If you ’ ve been in a good car accident, then it ’ sulfur crucial that you hire a police firm with a record of success in Los Angeles car accident cases. These include any accident that resulted in emergency checkup care, hospitalization and/or left you unable to work .
This is not the time to go it entirely. insurance companies will do everything they can to minimize your claim, careless of the extent of your injuries. sometimes, the other person involved in the accident will dispute who ’ s to blame. These situations can and do arise. The Dominguez Firm has successfully handled all types of car accidents and injuries. We know the insurance companies and the other side ’ s tactics because we ’ ve confronted them all and we know how to counteract them .
And if you think you can ’ triiodothyronine afford to hire a team of Los Angeles car accident lawyers, think again. The Dominguez Firm works on a eventuality basis. That means we receive a percentage of your final settlement or verdict total. You pay no upfront fees or costs. And in the unlikely event that we are unable to obtain compensation for you, you owe us nothing. You win, or you don ’ triiodothyronine pay ! thus, you have nothing to lose and then much to gain by hiring The Dominguez Firm .
Questions you should ask an auto accident lawyer before hiring them:
- Have you handled cases like mine? How many?
- If I lose, will I be responsible for your expenses?
- What are your fees?
- What staffing and financial resources do you have to fight my case?
- How long have you been handling Los Angeles car accident cases?
- How long will my case take?
- What can be done to improve the chances of a successful outcome?
- How many cases has your firm won in a jury verdict?
- What were your top 5 jury verdicts?
- Were those top verdicts with in-house car accident lawyers, or did you need or use outside lawyers?
What to do after an accident
- Move to a secure area if it’s safe to do so and call 911 to report the accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- Provide the officers on the scene with the facts of the accident as best you can.
- Gather witness information and take pictures of the cars involved and accident scene, but only if it’s safe to do so.
- Hire The Dominguez Firm to handle all aspects of your car accident case.
What should I not do?
- Do not admit fault or any wrongdoing. Also, don’t apologize since that can be understood to be an admission of guilt.
- Do not guess or assume facts when providing information to a police officer.
- Do not delay medical treatment.
- Do not give statements to ANY insurance companies or their representatives (including your own) until you have consulted with our firm.
- Do not accept any settlement offers or settlement agreements without consulting with your lawyer.
What are some common car accident injuries?
While a bunch of people think the bigger the crash, and the more property damage to your car, the bigger the injury. The truth is that even minor or seemingly minor accidents can result in catastrophic injuries. It doesn ’ t take much power to hurt vulnerable areas such as the spinal column, brain, joints, and bones .
What are some of the most common injuries?
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Wrongful death
- Spinal cord injuries, including partial or full paralysis, whether temporary or permanent
- Whiplash and nerve injuries
- Internal injuries, including bruised, damaged, and/or lacerated organs
- Crush injuries
- Facial injuries, eye injuries, dental injuries, and scarring
- Broken bones
- Torn ligaments
- Dislocated joints and/or deranged joints
- Cuts and lacerations
- Muscle strain and/or sprain
The legal process and time frames
Lawsuits related to car accident injuries are generally treated as personal wound lawsuits and filed in civil court. The plaintiff ( the person filing the lawsuit ) seeks to recover money from the defendant ( the person being sued ). here is a general overview of the steps involved in filing a lawsuit.
Read more: Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- File a complaint. The first step in pursuing a car accident lawsuit is to file a complaint with the court. This provides a detailed narrative laying out what happened, the damages you are claiming, and the legal basis for bringing the lawsuit. You must file your complaint within your state’s statute of limitations—in the case of California, within 2 years of the accident that caused your injuries.
- Serve the Defendant with the complaint. After filing your complaint with the court, you must inform the defendant that you have filed a lawsuit against them. This process is formally known as ‘serving the complaint,’ and you must follow strict guidelines in order for the court to consider the document properly served.
- The Defendant files an answer to your complaint. This answer will usually include admission or denial of the factual allegations laid out in your complaint and set forward any legal defenses.
- Discovery. Once the complaint and answer have been filed in court, both parties will request and exchange information. This process is known as discovery. During this phase, you may be asked to produce documents, answer written questions, or undergo depositions related to the case. The defendant will also have the opportunity to do the same.
- Trial. Once discovery is complete, both sides will gather and present their arguments to a judge or jury. If the evidence is overwhelming for one side, the case may settle before going to trial. If not, both the Plaintiff and Defendant will be given the opportunity to present evidence, produce witnesses, cross-examine the witnesses of the opposing party, present experts, etc. Once the trial is closed, the judge or jury will deliberate and issue a verdict in favor of either the Plaintiff or Defendant based on a ‘preponderance of evidence’ supporting their claim, and a judgment will be entered, including an amount in compensation, if any.
Filing a personal injury lawsuit for your car accident claim is no simple task. It requires a meaning measure of skill and experience. This is not something the average person can successfully take on by themselves .
What types of compensation am I entitled to?
- Medical expenses. You are entitled to compensation for medical bills related to your injury. Among these are:
- Hospital bills
- Ambulance bills
- Physical therapy
- Consultations with specialists
- In-home care services
- Psychiatric counseling
- Property damage. You are entitled to compensation for damage to your property—in most cases, the cost of repairing or replacing your car.
- Pain and suffering. Also known as ‘non-economic damages,’ pain and suffering are damages related to the invisible impacts of the accident on your quality of life. These damages are meant to compensate for physical and mental distress resulting from the accident, such as anxiety or PTSD. Under the guidance of an experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyer, these more difficult to quantify damages can account for a sizeable portion of your accident compensation.
- Lost wages. If your injuries have impacted your ability to work, you are entitled to compensation for lost wages. Your employer will need to provide a letter stating your salary and the hours you have missed.
- Punitive damage. If the conduct of the defendant was particularly malicious or willful, then you may receive punitive damages as well. Punitive damages are given more to punish the defendant and discourage them from acting in a similar manner in the future.
Other Important Questions To Consider:
What are the different types of car accidents, causes, and related statistics?
car accidents come in all shapes, sizes, and situations. Some of the more common car accidents include :
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Left-turn collisions
- Side-swipe collisions
- T-bone collisions
- Merging collisions
- Failure to yield right of way collisions
These accidents can include any of the following types of vehicles:
- Passenger vehicles (4-door, 2-door, hatchback)
- Sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
- Pick-up trucks
- Light utility trucks
- Box trucks
- Large commercial trucks (aka as big rigs, 18-wheelers, or tractor-trailers)
Causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving (texting, eating, using one hand to talk on the phone, etc.)
- Drowsy, fatigued, or sleepy driving
- Impaired driving (driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol)
- Reckless driving
- Following too close
- Ignoring traffic signals, road signage, and stop signs
- Vehicle defects or vehicle recalls
- Roadway design, repair, or maintenance issues
- Teenage or inexperienced drivers
- Lane splitting (for motorcyclists)
- Construction zones
According to data compiled by the California Office of Traffic Safety, fatality statistics related to car accidents include :
- 3,623 traffic fatalities in 2016
- 1,059 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in 2016
- 15 percent of all drivers killed in motor vehicle accidents that tested positive for drugs
- 548 motorcycle fatalities in 2016
- 225 teenage driving fatalities in 2016
- Overall, in the United States, per the Road Safety Facts by the ASIRT, 37,000 people die in road crashes every year and another 2.35 million are injured or disabled.
I’m undocumented, can you still take my case?
Yes. In California, it is against the rules in any civil case, including a car accident lawsuit, to use person ’ s immigration condition against them. In other words, when person is negligent and causes you injury, it doesn’t matter what, how, or why you are here. To be on the condom side, we always issue privacy objections to stop any telephone line of questioning intend to obtain this type of information .
While English is the terminology spoken in the court, it is common for non-English speakers to utilize license interpreters. Our car accident attorneys work with some of the best interpreters in Los Angeles that can help be your voice, often matching your dialect, tone, and intonations, to ensure the translation and interpretation are spot on and conveys your story and emotions .
Can I get compensation for a car accident if I am partly to blame for it?
Yes. California is a “ comparative mistake ” state, which means your sum convalescence will be reduced by the percentage you are deemed to have contributed to the accident occurring. For example, if you ’ rhenium sum recovery is $ 1,000,000 and your actions were deemed to have contributed 25 % to the accident, then your convalescence is $ 750,000. You can recover even if you are considered 99 % at-fault. When speaking to a personal injury lawyer, this will be discussed .
What if I was working or on-the-clock at the time of my accident?
Depending on the specific facts of your case, you may be able to make a workers ’ compensation claim and file a lawsuit in civil woo against at-fault third parties ( non-employer ). fortunately, we have you covered as we not only have award-winning car accident lawyers on staff, we besides have a workers ’ compensation department with across-the-board experience and achiever handling all types of workers ’ comprehensive examination cases.
How our award-winning auto accident attorneys can help you
In accession to everything discussed above, our core values focus on compassion, service, and results. Our Los Angeles car accident lawyers take a client-first approach and aim to give you the best, most personable service possible. We keep you informed, answer your questions, and never make any significant decisions without first gear inform and consulting with you .
Results besides topic and with over $1 billion * recovered for thousands of injure clients, we have the chase record to prove it. Our team of award-winning accident lawyers, including an adept trial team, has won several multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements including a $ 29 million car accident verdict .
Call us today for a dislodge consultation about your sheath at 800-818-1818. And we promise : if you don ’ t win you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate pay !