In the 1920 annual report, Wirth suggested that possibly the alone available and low-cost land in south Minneapolis that would provide the minimal of 150 acres needed for a golf course was between Rice Lake and Cedar Avenue. The estimate catch on. In the adjacent year ’ second report, dining table president William Bovey “ powerfully ” advised the board to acquire the land around Rice Lake—but only what was ” absolutely necessity ” to provide a desirable golf course and playground. He repeated the advice the adopt class .
In 1922 the park control panel followed that advice and designated for acquisition not precisely Rice Lake, but the land to the west of the lake for a golf course, and the integral valley of Minnehaha Creek from the lake to Minnehaha Falls. While the concluding acquisition was much larger than contemplated years earlier, so was the price tag. With increasing exploitation of southern Minneapolis, surely aided by the creation of Lake Nokomis and the smother ballpark, Rice Lake was no long priced as just a swamp. The park board paid $ 550,000 for the lake, surrounding land and creek bed. Rice Lake had been acquired not to provide a reservoir for Minnehaha Falls, or to be filled in as hayfield ; it had been acquired in large partially to become a golf course. The monetary value of the skill was assessed 100 % against “ benefited ” property over five years, the steepest appraisal in park board history not spread in function over property city-wide .
The method of financing the learning by local judgment basically prevented development of the property until it was paid for. The park board didn ’ thyroxine feel it could add an assessment for developing the property on top of the assessment to acquire it. however, Wirth submitted his beginning design for the place in 1924, which showed the basic layout of the golf course and a resort area southeast of the lake. The plan besides included a man-made island in the southwest corner of the lake.
In an attempt to provide some manipulation of the fresh park that the vicinity was paying for, in December 1924 the park board responded favorably to petitions from the region and established the first skating rink on the lake .
construction of the golf class and dredge of the lake began in 1929 after the assessments for acquiring the property had been paid. Wirth noted that he believed the optimum depth of the lake should be 14 feet and that was approved by the dining table. His plan to create the island was abandoned, he reported in 1930, when dredging revealed a miss of backbone deposits that were needed to build an island. The material dredged from the lake was used chiefly to construct rolling terrain needed for a more interest golf course —more “ sporty ” was Wirth ’ second description. Dredging of the lake was completed in 1931 and work began in earnest on the golf course. With the completion of dredge, the beach on the east shore of the lake besides opened in 1931 .
The final equal to the newly golf course was a clubhouse with the appearance of a “ very cosy bungalow, ” according to Wirth, which was constructed in 1932. The like class the golf clubhouse was built a shelter was besides built in the northeast corner of the park to serve the playground. Playground equipment was installed in 1931-1932. The tennis courts along Minnehaha Parkway were besides built in 1932 .
The golf course was last in playable condition and the first nine holes opened for play July 30, 1934. The charge for playing nine holes was set at $ 0.35. The wide run opened the following summer. Almost immediately, the new course was the lone profitable course operated by the park dining table. While waiting to build the Hiawatha class, the parking lot board had besides created two more golf courses, Armour ( Gross ) and Meadowbrook in the mid-1920s. Both courses enjoyed initial popularity, but with the coming of the Great Depression golf play everywhere dropped off dramatically. Throughout the 1930s, Hiawatha was the entirely profitable golf course.
The course was heavily used despite compensate several years where occupy from dredging had settled and required new fill. In 1939, a federal work relief project added shore walls to prevent corrosion at Lake Hiawatha, as had been done at most other city lakes. Park overseer Christian Bossen explained that shores created by dredging were specially susceptible to erosion from wave action .
One of the only major changes to the layout of the park since it was created was the addition of a second ball field made by filling land north of the lake in 1968. In 1977, the master refreshment kernel was demolished and replaced .
The park did not have full time refreshment supervision until 1999, the same year that a Learning Center was added to the golf course northwest of the clubhouse and Tiger Woods made an appearance at the naturally for the Fairway Foundation and the Minnesota Minority Junior Golf Foundation.
In June 2014 record rainfalls caused a devastate flood that forced the entire course to close for months. Water receded enough for workers to repair and reopen the front nine holes in fall 2014. The back nine full course reopened in 2016 .
In July 2021, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board of Commissioners voted to change the name of the clubhouse to the Solomon Hughes Sr. Clubhouse. In accordance with Resolution 2021-250, a display telling the “ story of Solomon Hughes and other Black golfers who worked to end discriminative practices and extend the sport of golf within the Black residential district, ” is besides being created .
History through 2008 written by David C. Smith, with updates from 2009 to present written by MPRB .