Table of Contents
The human body has many vital elements, and the human body needs to have a healthy balance of all the nutrients. Out of all, proteins play a significant role since they form the building blocks of the body. But proteins are complex in nature and types.
Whey and Soy form the two most common proteins, and whey isolates are the purest form of whey since they remove the fat. In general, whey itself is very nutritious, and whey isolates, after their processing, provide the human body with the purest elements and reject the unessential items.
Now, let’s see what the different types and forms of whey protein are.
Different Types Of Whey Protein:
Let us now read about how many types of whey protein there are. There are primarily three types of whey protein. They are whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and whey protein hydrolysate.
Now, let us see what these are and what the differences are between these three.
- Whey protein concentrate- Whey protein concentrate or WPC contains low levels of both carbohydrate and fat. The percentage of protein in WPC depends on its concentration. Higher the concentration, higher the protein percentage, and lower the concentration, reduce the protein percentage. The lowest concentration is likely to have 30% of the protein, and the highest concentration is expected to have 90% protein.
- Whey protein isolate- WPI or whey protein isolate is again processed. This process removes all the lactose and fat. WPI consists of at least 90% protein.
- Whey protein hydrolysate- WPH or whey protein isolate is the whey protein’s predigested form. It is because it has already gone through partial hydrolysis. This process is very crucial for the body because it helps the body in the absorption of protein. WPH or whey protein isolate doesn’t require as much digestion as the other two forms of whey protein.
Role And Functions Of Whey Isolates In Muscle Development:
Whey protein can also be called vegetarian protein. It plays a vital role in the process of muscle development. It enhances muscle protein synthesis and helps in the growth of lean tissue mass. People who exercise and take whey protein isolates have noticed significant changes in their lean tissue mass growth.
Apart from this, there are other ways in which whey protein isolates help in muscle development. They are as follows:
- Building blocks- Whey protein isolates contain amino acids and protein. It acts as a building block and increases the growth of muscle. It can effectively increase muscle growth if consumed before, after, or during a workout.
- Hormones- Whey isolates enhance the release of certain hormones, called the anabolic hormones. It helps with muscle growth by stimulating it. A common anabolic hormone that helps with this process is insulin.
- Leucine- Out of the three branched-chain amino acids, leucine is one. With the help of leucine, whey protein isolates help to stimulate the protein synthesis of muscle at a genetic and molecular level.
- Fast absorption- One can absorb and utilize whey protein very quickly compared to other protein forms. Compared to different types of proteins, like soy, whey protein is a little bit more practical.
Due to all these reasons, athletes, fitness models, and bodybuilders prefer to intake whey protein. Although the effect of whey protein on muscle growth is fixed, the results may greatly vary from one individual to another.
Benefits of consuming whey protein isolates:
Now let us see what are the benefits of intaking whey protein isolates. Well, there are lots of advantages of consuming whey isolate protein powder. Studies have shown that whey protein is one of the best supplements, and it has its reasons. Apart from having very high nutritional value and helping with muscle growth, it also has various other health benefits.
- Contains a great amount of protein- Whey has a very high amount of protein. It has all the essential Amino Acids. It is also very easily digested.
- Helps in losing weight- People who consume whey protein isolates regularly have lost a significant amount of body weight.
- Helps to lower the cholesterol level- Whey protein isolates also help reduce the cholesterol level in people who consume it daily.
- Helps to reduce asthma- Studies have shown that whey protein improves children’s immunity who have asthma.
- Controls blood pressure and different types of cardiovascular disease- Patients with high blood pressure and hypertension, who consume whey protein isolates, have found out that their blood pressure and hypertension reduced significantly.
- Helps in treating type 2 diabetes- Whey protein is known to help patients with type 2 diabetes. It regulates blood sugar, increases insulin levels in the body, and increases its effects.
Ill- effects of consuming too much whey protein isolates:
Even though whey isolates proteins have many health benefits, they will have specific ill effects on health if consumed heavily.
Now, let’s see what adverse effects it can have on our health.
- Food allergy- People who are allergic to milk or are lactose intolerant will mainly be allergic to whey.
- Kidney and liver issues- Consuming excessive protein is never suitable for people with kidney or liver issues. Therefore, those people should not consume whey protein.
- Stomach pains- Consuming whey protein in a very high amount can trigger stomach pains.
- Reduced appetite– Another ill-effect of consuming too much whey protein supplement is that it reduces the appetite.
- Nausea- Having this protein supplement on a high amount might cause nausea.
- Headache- It might also trigger a headache.
- Too many nutrients- As whey contains a very high amount of nutrients, it might increase the amount of protein in our body and cause an imbalance.
Know Your Whey!
Whey isolates protein is, therefore, very vital. It plays a crucial role in our daily lives. Without these whey protein isolates, one would face many problems, like weak muscles, hormonal issues, asthma, weight issues, etc. Therefore, a human body should have a decent amount of whey protein isolates. However, consuming or having more or less than the recommended amount is not suggested.