Hurstville, New South Wales – Wikipedia

suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Hurstville based on NASA satellite images Location map ofbased on NASA satellite images Memorial Square, Forest Road, Hurstville

Hurstville is a suburb in Southern Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. It is 16 kilometres confederacy of the Sydney CBD and is function of the St George area. Hurstville is the administrative center of the local anesthetic government area of the Georges River Council .

history [edit ]

The name Hurstville is derived from the English ‘ hurst ‘, meaning ‘a wooded tuberosity ‘, and ‘ ville ‘, meaning ‘town ‘. [ 2 ]

native culture [edit ]

Although it is nameless when they beginning settled in the Hurstville area, the first inhabitants were autochthonal Australians. At the fourth dimension of the arrival of the First Fleet, the Indigenous Australians residing in the area were of the Eora kin, whose numbers spanned along the Georges River, from Botany Bay to contemporary Liverpool .

european settlement [edit ]

The first sustained contact between members of the First Fleet and the Eora tribe, occurred on 20 January 1788 within the boundaries of the give City of Hurstville at Lugarno and Oatley, at Lime Kiln Bay on the Georges River, as recorded by Lieutenant Philip Gidley King in his diary. [ 3 ] While Governor Philip explored the south side of the Georges River around Como, King with a party of one early officeholder and three marines in a six-oared dinghy aimed for the highest point they could see on the north side, probably at Lugarno, and landed at a place they named Lance Point. Although first contact with the autochthonal Australians led to a small affray where a spear was thrown and a changeable fired, later in the day when the party rowed up Lime Kiln Bay towards present day Mortdale they were greeted in a friendly manner by both men and women, and what could lone be described as Australia ‘s beginning picnic took position as food and beverage were shared between the two peoples. After a long summer good afternoon of common contact and conviviality the british sailors rowed back to their ship moored at Botany Bay ( see Haworth R.J. 2012, Journal of australian Colonial History, vol. 14 pp. 1–28, for a reconstruction of King ‘s boat travel and likely route ). The land of the Hurstville region was granted by the politics of the new colony of New South Wales to two men : Captain John Townson and his buddy Robert Townson in 1808. Captain John Townson was granted 1950 acres ( 7.9 km² ) of land which is nowadays occupied by the suburb of Hurstville and character of Bexley. Robert Townson was granted the nation which is now occupied by Penshurst, Mortdale and parts of Peakhurst. In the same year, in the area now known as Riverwood down grants were made to Jane Trotter, Mary Shepley, Charles Doudall, and James Ryan. late in 1816 another domain accord in the same area was given to Mary Redman. In 1809, Captain John Townson was granted an extra 250 acres ( 1 km² ) in the area now occupied by Kingsgrove and Beverly Hills. The Townson brothers were not felicitous with the down that they were given because it was not desirable for the farm of sheep for wool and it is probable that the brothers never occupied their land. In 1812, a affluent merchant named Simeon Lord bought the land of Captain John Townson and named it Lord’s Forest. When Lord died, the land became the property of John Rose Holden and James Holt of the Bank of NSW .

Sproule family [edit ]

Gladwyn is an historic, Italianate firm at 96 Queens Road. It was built in 1893 by John Sproule, a local builder and alderman of Hurstville Council, who had acquired the land two years previously. It changed hands many times and was known as Gladwyn by 1906. Hurstville Council finally acquired the firm in 1986. It has been restored and adapted for commercial consumption, arsenic well a serving as the base for the Hurstville Archival Research and Local Studies Centre. It is heritage-listed at state and local charge. [ 4 ] [ 5 ] In 1895, Ann Sproule bought land on the reverse side of Queens Road from the Winn brothers of Newcastle, New South Wales. John Sproule then built Yarra-Mundi in 1897, and lived there until 1904. The house then changed hands a numeral of times over the years. In 1981 it was acquired by the Danebank Church of England School for Girls. The school later sold the house in 2003 and it was subsequently adapted for commercial use. It is heritage-listed. [ 6 ]

Development [edit ]

A dam with a roadway on top was constructed on the Cooks River at Tempe in 1839. In 1843, the road that was to become known as Forest Road was extended from the dam to a hand-winched punt in Lugarno. On the other side of the river, the road continued all the way to Wollongong ; however, it was merely suitable for travellers on hogback. The new road opened up the Hurstville region and created a colonization at Bottle Forest, now known as Heathcote. In 1850, the Lord Forest estate was purchased by Michael Gannon ( 1800–61 ), who subdivided it into belittled farms along what is nowadays Croydon Road and three larger farms that were purchased by Dent, Peake, and Ibbotson. [ 7 ] The area became known as Gannon ‘s Forest. The land originally granted to Robert Townson was purchased by John Connell in 1830 and, following his death in 1849, the estate was inherited by his grandsons, Elias Pearson Laycock and John Connell Laycock. The Gannon ‘s Forest post function opened in 1881. The local school was named “ Hurstville ” by School Inspector MacIntyre when it was established in 1876. When the railway station opened on 15 October 1884, it took the identify Hurstville, from the school. Hurstville municipality was incorporated in 1887 and, in 1988, Hurstville was declared a city. The centennial Bakery on Forest Road is a historic build up that has been preserved and once housed a museum. The St George Regional Museum is now located in another historic construction in MacMahon Street. The Hurstville aim crash on 3 August 1920 resulted in five people killed and fifty dollar bill injured. It involved the collision of two steam trains, one arrive from Central Railway Station, which plunged into the back of the early, which was stationary at Hurstville railroad track station, jump for Sutherland. [ 8 ] Hurstville ‘s residential developments are a mix of low-density housing, medium-density flats, and high-density apartment buildings .

economy [edit ]

Global Chambers office building Theoffice build Hurstville is the central occupation district of the St George area. It is a large, multiethnic suburb with a multitude of commercial buildings and high-rise residential buildings dominating the skyline. The commercial area is centered on the main street, Forest Road, on the northerly side of Hurstville Railway place. Forest Road is the main denounce street which features branches of many retail shops arsenic well as numerous banks ( Commonwealth, ANZ, NAB, Westpac, St George, HSBC, Bank of China ) and other fiscal institutions. The commercial developments besides extend to surrounding streets concentrated from Queens Road to The Avenue and on the southerly side of Hurstville Railway station, around Ormonde Parade. The commercial developments extend far along Forest Road, west towards Penshurst and east towards Bexley .

retail and shop [edit ]

Hurstville has two major patronize centres, Westfield Hurstville and Hurstville Central. There are besides a few smaller shopping centres such as Hurstville Times Plaza, East Quarter, Metro Centre, Hurstville City Centre and Union Arcade .

Restaurants and cafe [edit ]

Hurstville has a wide variety of restaurants and cafe and is known as a major dining address in the St George area of Sydney. There are a big act of Chinese ( including Cantonese ), japanese and korean restaurants and eateries .

early [edit ]

The administrative offices of the Georges River Council are located in the Hurstville Civic Centre in MacMahon Street. This street besides features a total of historic buildings such as the Friendly Pharmacy, erstwhile Fire Station, Ritz Hotel and Hurstville Museum & Gallery ( once known as the St George Regional Museum ), which houses the patty decorating collection once held at the australian Cakes and Sugar Art Museum. Hurstville City Library is located nearby on Queens Road .

culture [edit ]

The St Clair Recording Studio operated for about a year from December 1965 to December 1966 and recorded the Bee Gees among other musicians. [ 9 ] AC/DC played at the Hurstville Civic Centre ( Marana Hall/Rivoli Hall ) on eight occasions between 1974-1977. Hurstville was besides the web site where the first always Video Ezy memory opened in 1983. A karaoke place opened in 2011 near the prime Hotel, the beginning always one in Hurstville. The Hurstville Museum & Gallery focuses on local history, art, and culture. According to the Museum ‘s web site, it “ is home to high quality exhibitions, a divers roll of public programs and a solicitation of approximately 5,000 objects and artworks from the local sphere. ” [ 10 ]

transportation [edit ]

Hurstville railroad track station is a major place on the T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line of the Sydney Trains network and the South Coast Line on the NSW TrainLink network. All Suburban and Intercity trains stop at Hurstville. Hurstville is 20 minutes from Sydney Central railway station on the express service. Hurstville is a major bus interchange with bus services departing from Forest Road and Ormonde Parade. Hurstville is besides serviced by St George Community Transport, a HACC funded tape drive service for the Frail Aged, people with disability and their carers. [ 11 ]

Churches [edit ]

St George ‘s Hurstville Anglican Church, St Michael ‘s Roman Catholic Church, Hurstville Presbyterian Church, Hurstville Church of Christ, Hurstville Uniting Church, Hurstville Seventh-day Adventist Church, Hurstville Assemblies of God, Salvation Army, Church of the Living God .

Schools [edit ]

Landmarks [edit ]

  • Hurstville Civic Centre, Hurstville Entertainment Centre, Hurstville City Library, St George Regional Museum, Park Plaza Apartments

Parks [edit ]

  • Kempt Field, Woodville Park, Hurstville Park, Thorpe Park, Doyle Gardens.

population [edit ]

Apartments on MacMahon Street

Demographics [edit ]

The first european settlers in the sphere were by and large of British and Irish ancestry. From the deep 1960s, Hurstville, like many surrounding areas, became home plate to migrants from all around the populace. The first base wave of migrants included Greeks and Italians who began moving south from Sydney ‘s inner-city suburb. They were followed by more european migrants, including many from the former Yugoslavia. From the 1990s, the Chinese community within Hurstville has grown well. much of this was related to significant migration from Hong Kong during the 1990s and migration from Mainland China during the 2000s. many local businesses are operated by people of chinese setting, the interests of which are advanced by the St. George Asian Business Association. Hurstville is a hub for asian groceries, food and services. [ 12 ] According to the 2016 Australian Bureau of Statistics Census of Population, there were 29,822 residents in Hurstville. 27.8 % of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of parturition were China 36.9 %, Nepal 7.1 %, Hong Kong 4.0 %, Indonesia 1.8 % and India 1.5 %. 18.1 % of people only spoke English at home plate. other languages spoken at home included Mandarin 32.3 %, yue 17.9 %, Nepali 7.2 %, Arabic 2.8 % and greek 2.5 %. The most park responses for religion were No Religion 42.7 %, Catholic 11.8 %, Hinduism 8.2 % and Buddhism 8.1 %. The most common ancestries in Hurstville were taiwanese 49.4 %, english 6.6 %, nepalese 6.6 %, australian 5.1 % and greek 2.9 % and 1.3 % Filipinos. [ 1 ]

noteworthy residents [edit ]

sister cities [edit ]

References [edit ]

Coordinates :

Related Articles

Check Also
Back to top button