suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Homebush is a suburb in the Inner West of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is located 12 kilometres west of the Sydney cardinal occupation zone, in the local government area of the Municipality of Strathfield.
The name of the suburb derives ultimately from an estate to the north, called “ Home Bush ” and owned by colonial surgeon D’Arcy Wentworth. The historic railroad track post named after the estate was briefly the early terminal of the Great westerly Line in 1855. The historic Village of Homebush estate of the realm, south of the railroad track, was developed in 1878 and survives largely entire. It became part of Strathfield Municipality along with the suburbs of Redmyre and Druitt Town in 1885. North Homebush, north of the railway, have industrial and residential development in the early on twentieth hundred and was a separate municipality. [ 2 ] The modern suburb was formed when a modest separate of Strathfield, immediately south of Homebush railroad track station, was combined with the eastern part of former Homebush municipality in 1947. In the early twenty-first hundred, North Homebush has experienced meaning population emergence due to high gear density residential developments. The village and late suburb of “ Homebush ” was named after the railroad track station built in 1855, which in act was named after the freestanding “ Home Bush Estate ” far north. besides taking its name from the Home Bush Estate is Homebush Bay ( early known as The Flats ), a major intake on the southerly side of the Parramatta River to the north west of the Home Bush Estate. Most of the former “ Home Bush Estate ” was later a separate suburb of former Auburn Council named “ Homebush Bay ”, most of which became in 2009 the suburb of Olympic Park in the City of Parramatta, and a smaller share became the suburb of Wentworth Point. Homebush West is another branch suburb to the west, besides known as “ Flemington ” .
history [edit ]
The first name of colonization in the Concord Plains area was “ liberty Plains ”. This was a group of grants given to the Colony ‘s first loose settlers, who came on the transport “ Bellona ”, in 1793. [ 3 ] Most of the original settlers soon departed for agriculturally more attractive places, like the Hawkesbury. One of them, Edward Powell, late returned and established there the Half Way House Inn, on Parramatta Road barely west of the creek that now bears his name. [ 4 ] The Parish of Liberty Plains remains one of the 57 parishes of Cumberland County, New South Wales ( the parish is a cadastral unit of measurement for use on estate titles ). That parish covers the suburb of Homebush West ( Flemington ), but not the suburb of Homebush, which is alternatively in the Parish of Concord. When the Great Western Railway line came through there, with a station equitable behind Powell ‘s Inn, the station borrowed the identify “ Homebush ” from the nearest big estate, that of the “ Home Bush Estate ”, owned by the Colony ‘s then-assistant surgeon, D’Arcy Wentworth. It is normally thought that this property and house with the name of “ Home Bush ” was established and named by D’Arcy Wentworth. historian Michael Jones who had been commissioned by Stathfield Council to write the history of that municipality wrote : “ Wentworth is popularly credited with having called the area after his ‘home in the bush ‘, although Homebush is besides a place in Kent “. [ 5 ] however, according to local anesthetic historian David Patrick [ 6 ] it was not D’Arcy Wentworth who named “ Home Bush ” but an earlier alienee on the estate – that being the military figure Thomas Laycock. It would appear that after Laycock became mentally ill, following his direct interest in suppressing the Castle Hill convict rebellion, D’Arcy Wentworth became his sophisticate. It has been reputed that D’Arcy Wentworth either bought the Laycock Home Bush Farm from Laycock or, more fancifully, won the place in an unfair game of cards from the ailing Laycock. Wentworth retained Thomas Laycock ‘s name of the property and added to its extent. Laycock had been granted 40 hectares in 1794 and increased this to 318 hectares ( 790 acres ) by 1803 and named it “ Home Bush ”. [ citation needed ] A poster that Laycock placed in the newspapers about his property “ Home Bush ” is from before when Wentworth acquired the land from him. Later on, Wentworth acquired more domain there himself and the estate of the realm had grown to 400 hectares ( 990 acres ) by 1811. [ citation needed ] however, the “ Home Bush Estate ” had lone minor overlaps with the show suburb : most of Wentworth ‘s Home Bush Estate ( later a rush path and paddocks ) is located in contemporary Olympic Park and Homebush West ( Flemington ), while the village and late suburb of Homebush was subdivided from Powell ‘s estate, a offprint accord to the south. Powell ‘s grant, enlarged in his life, passed finally to his son-in-law James Underwood in 1823. [ citation needed ] It was from the “ Underwood Estate ” that the “ Village of Homebush ”, located south of the railway and west of Powell ‘s Creek, was subdivided in 1878 for residential development, with a humble village “ high street ” forming on Rochester Street adjacent to the railroad track place. An widen area to the south followed the devious street model of Coventry Road ( separate of which was renamed Mackenzie Street in 1918 ) and Beresford Road, such as Albert Road and Oxford Road. The suburb of “ Homebush ” frankincense included the northern and cardinal part of today ‘s suburb of Strathfield, bounded by Homebush Road in the east. Near its southern extremity, Bushy Hill Street Estate, Homebush was subdivided in 1880. This estate of the realm included the confederacy side of Redmyre Road, Florence Street and Bushy Hill Street ( now Albyn Road ), to the west of Homebush Road. [ 7 ] The then-suburb of Homebush ( consisting of the part of today ‘s Homebush and Strathfield south of railroad track and west of Homebush Road ), together with the northerly part of Druitt Town ( which lay to its south ), and the western depart of Redmyre ( east of Homebush Road ) became function of Strathfield Municipality in 1885, after which directories listed houses in all three areas as being in “ Strathfield ”. [ 8 ] After 1885, “ Homebush ” normally referred to the unincorporated separate of the Underwood and Wentworth estates located north of the railroad track. This area remained underdeveloped for many years, and when “ Homebush Municipality ” was established over this sphere ( Homebush North ) in 1906, there were entirely 90 houses and 548 residents in the municipality. The internalization of Homebush North and the exploitation of primary and junior-grade industry nearby led to rapid development in that area. In 1925, the open of the Homebush Theatre ( later a cinema, now disused ) on Parramatta Road spurred development of a commercial area along that road, but this area fell into decline in the late twentieth hundred. Homebush Municipality merged into Strathfield Municipality in 1947. The northern part of Homebush South was merged with function of the area covered by Homebush Municipality to create the modern suburb of Homebush .
description [edit ]
Homebush is made up of a count of areas that were developed at unlike times. The mod suburb is bounded approximately by Saleyards Creek in the west and Powells Creek in the north and east. In the northwest, since 1992 it has been divided from the suburb of Sydney Olympic Park in the City of Parramatta by the A3 arterial road ; prior to that, the northwest boundary was Boundary Creek. In the south, it is divided from the suburb of Strathfield by an irregular boundary roughly following the local anesthetic artery road formed by Arthur Street, Broughton Road and Beresford Road, but which brings all of the properties facing that road within the boundaries of the suburb of Strathfield. This irregular boundary was established in 1947, when north Homebush became separate of Strathfield Municipality, and the Homebush village center was carved out of the suburb of Strathfield to be combined with north Homebush to form the mod suburb. The southerly character of the historical suburb of Homebush ( between Broughton Road and Albyn Road ) is now part of the suburb of Strathfield. The area to the north of the railway that formed the historic Municipality of Homebush is now in the suburb of Homebush and Homebush West ( Flemington ). small strips to the northwestern and northeast are in Sydney Olympic Park and North Strathfield respectively .
Homebush South ( Homebush Village ) [edit ]
Homebush War Memorial, administratively in Strathfield .
Burlington Road BillesdonBurlington Road
Meredith Street DunkeldMeredith Street
Abbotsford Road IngeraAbbotsford Road
Abbotsford Road Wellbeck/WarwickAbbotsford Road Homebush South, [ 9 ] besides called Homebush Village, is a vicinity comprising the part of the suburb of Homebush to the confederacy of the railway. Homebush South has a population of 3297 and a population density of 50.59 people per hectare. [ 10 ] Homebush South consists of the bulk of the Village of Homebush estate of the realm which was first subdivided in 1878. This development was subdivided from the larger Underwood Estate, and is today split between the suburb of Homebush and Strathfield. The country had boundaries of The Crescent, Homebush, Beresford, Coventry and Bridge Roads. Homebush Village became separate of Strathfield Municipality, proclaimed in 1886. Within the estate, Broughton, Abbotsford and Burlington Roads and Rochester and Meredith Streets were besides gazetted. In the December of that year, 381 house blocks were auctioned. By the end of the century, many large houses and substantial villas had been built. In the 20th-century house construction continued and most blocks had been built on by the end of the 1920s. [ 11 ] ascribable to boundary changes after North Homebush was incorporated into Strathfield in 1947, the historic “ Village of Homebush ” estate is today partially in Homebush South and partially in the suburb of Strathfield. The western limit of Homebush South is Saleyards Creek, which flows through Airey Park and divides Homebush South from Flemington village, in the suburb of Homebush West. The creek besides serves as the boundary between the cadastral units ( used for land style purposes ) of the Parish of Concord ( to the east, including Homebush ) and the Parish of Liberty Plains ( to the west, including Flemington ). The Homebush Village concentrate lies on a section of Rochester Street close to the railroad track, which forms the “ high street ” of the greenwich village. The commercial buildings along the village high street are largely preserved from the nineteenth century and are protected as a inheritance conservation area. today, the village center is populated by numerous cafes and restaurants, deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as freelancer businesses such as a bakery, a bloom patronize, a newsagency, a butcher, a bank, a military post agency, a pharmacy, doctors ‘ surgeries and grocery stores. These shops extend to The Crescent, face-to-face Homebush railroad track station. [ 12 ] While there are low-to-medium-rise apartment blocks around the greenwich village center, most of Homebush South is made up of freestanding residences. Reflecting the age and well-preserved condition of these residential streets, significant parts of the former Village of Homebush are protected as heritage conservation areas, including about the entirety of Abbotsford Road, which runs east-west across most of the Village, arsenic well as parts of Meredith Street. [ 13 ] Because the southerly separate of the village of Homebush is now administratively part of the suburb of Strathfield, diverse sites previously identified with Homebush are no longer within the boundaries of the suburb. These include the Homebush War Memorial in Davey Square, at the southerly tiptoe of the village of Homebush. Homebush Public School, opened in 1885, is in the greenwich village center. Homebush Boys High School is located on the western boundary of Homebush South. A girlfriend ‘ school, Strathfield Girls High School, is located nearby in Strathfield and besides serves Homebush South. Strathfield ‘s chief library is located on Rochester Street in Homebush South. The Catholic Seminary of the Good Shepherd, a train institution for priests, is besides located in Hommebush South. [ 14 ] Homebush South is connected to North Homebush via two road connections : Subway Lane, which passes under the railway credit line to the west of the place, and Bridge Road, which passes over the railroad track line farther west .
celebrated or inheritance listed houses in the Village of Homebush estate [edit ]
- Billesdon was built in 1915 for Stephen Rabone to a design by Rupert Minnett.
- Broughlea was built c. 1881 for Horatio Aylward, a solicitor in the firm of Aylward and Wild.
- Camden Lodge was built c. 1917 for Robert Trevethan.
- Dunkeld (now Edensor) was built in 1906 by pastoral agent and tennis player John Peate Duguid (1875–1961). The house was then owned by James Pearce (1857–1916), who was the proprietor of the Strathfield Flour Mills.
- Florenceville was built in the early 1880s by John Shiply.
- Hawthorn was built c. 1886 for Frederick William Binney to a design by Cyril and Arthur Blacket. Binney was Secretary of the Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Company and the Northern Collieries Association.
- Ingera (now Inglemere and trading as Darcy’s Hotel) was built c. 1894 for William Norton.
- Rothsay was built c. 1884 for Samuel Thompson (1821–1910), who was a stockbroker.
- Wellbeck was built c. 1892 and its first owner was Albert Nicholson, a solicitor. Nicholson owned the house until 1900 when the house was purchased by the Mutual Life Association. The house became known as Warwick in 1902 when it was bought by public subscription for Emily Forrester (1842–1917), widow of William Forrester (1842–1901) who had owned Warwick Farm as a private racecourse before he died owning nothing. The Forrester Fund raised £1387 and its committee paid £800 for the Homebush house. Emily Forrester died at Warwick, Homebush, in 1917, and the name of the house reverted to being known as Wellbeck.
North Homebush [edit ]
Heritage-listed Horse and Jockey Hotel, Parramatta Road
Former film, Parramatta Road North Homebush, the character of Homebush north of the railroad track, is bisected by Parramatta Road and the M4 Western Motorway. The area was developed slenderly late. Although Edward Powell ‘s Half Way House Inn on Parramatta Road had been established early in the life of the colony, the rest of the area was largely used for grazing. In the 1870s, stockyards ( for the sale of livestock by auction ) were erected adjacent to the station. In 1881, an attempt was made to subdivide the part of the former Home Bush Estate north of Parramatta Road, as the “ Homebush Park Estate ”. [ 27 ] however, this and subsequent subdivision proposals were not successful, and other than the draw adjacent to Parramatta Road, most of the country remained unsold and was sparsely populate. [ 28 ] When the NSW Government abattoirs were moved from Glebe to contemporary Sydney Olympic Park, the stockyards were closed and replaced by Flemington stockyards, foster west, in 1883. [ 29 ] Hotels and other businesses were established in the area adjacent to the stockyards, servicing stockyard and abattoir workers. [ 30 ] The removal of the stockyards allowed development of North Homebush to begin, around the change by reversal of the twentieth hundred, with its own local government ( the Municipality of Homebush ) established in 1906. The area immediately around Parramatta Road became a interfering commercial area, serving workers at factories located along Parramatta Road and far to the union, such as the Arnott ‘s Biscuits factory and the EMI records factory, established in the early twentieth century. [ 30 ] This area was centred on the intersection of Knight Street with Parramatta Road. In 1947, North Homebush became function of the Municipality of Strathfield. [ citation needed ] With the decline of diligence and the increase of dealings congestion along Parramatta Road after World War II, many of the shops once located in the North Homebush commercial area are now shut or abandoned, similarly to early parts of Parramatta Road. [ 30 ] Some remnants of the former commercial area remain, including the horse and Jockey Hotel, a heritage-listed public house on the site of the original Half Way House Inn, adenine well as the imposing former Homebush Cinema, nowadays abandoned. [ 31 ] At least for the meter being car sales yards continue to flourish along Parramatta Road but this independent artery through North Homebush has nowadays been re-zoned gamey density residential, with mid- and high-rise apartment blocks proliferating. The only commercial area along Parramatta Road which remains thriving is in the extreme west of this part of the suburb. It is part of Sydney Markets Plaza and serves the Sydney Markets at Flemington. The structure of the M4 expressway in the 1970s led to the destruction of some of the fine houses of North Homebush, such as “ Pomeroy House ”. [ 32 ] north of the M4 Western Motorway, the suburb boundaries extend promote west to the westerly bank of Saleyards Creek. A big fortune of this sphere is occupied by former industrial land, now redeveloped into parklands, office parks and the Direct Factory Outlet shop center. other nearby commercial areas are the ‘Bakehouse Quarter ‘ in neighbouring North Strathfield and the Homebush Village center in Homebush South. As a postal township ( for Australia Post purposes ) the name “ Homebush “ refers only to North Homebush. [ 33 ] North Homebush has a population of 5797. [ 34 ] [ 35 ] There are no schools in North Homebush, but the area is served partially by Homebush Public School and partially by North Strathfield Public School. It is besides within the catchment areas of Homebush Boys High School and Strathfield Girls High School .
heritage listings [edit ]
Homebush has a number of heritage-listed sites. This includes the follow state inheritance listed site :
- Great Southern and Western railway: Homebush railway station.
administration [edit ]
Homebush ( now Homebush South and separate of Strathfield ) was one of the three areas that formed the Strathfield Council when it was proclaimed in 1885, the other two being Redmyre and Druitt Town. The part of the modern suburb north of the railroad track remained unincorporated until Homebush Municipality was established in 1906. Homebush Municipality operated until 1947, when it was amalgamated with Strathfield Municipality .
transport [edit ]
Homebush railroad track station is serviced by all stations and limited stops services on the Inner West & Leppington Line of the Sydney Trains network. Homebush South is besides served by Strathfield railway post, located a short distance east of the suburb limit, which provides express services on the North Shore & Western Line, Northern Line and Inner West & Leppington Line, ampere well as regional and intercity lines. North Homebush is besides served by North Strathfield railroad track post, located a short outdistance east of the suburb boundary. north Strathfield is on the Northern Line of the Sydney Trains network. It will besides be served by the future Sydney Metro West rapid passage argumentation. Transit Systems buses besides service the area. Parramatta Road and the M4 Motorway are the independent arterial roads passing through North Homebush. Underwood Road is a local arterial connecting Parramatta Road with Homebush Bay Drive. Homebush South is accessible from the south via the local arterial Homebush Road, and from the east and west via the local arterial formed by Beresford and Broughton Roads. There are two road connections between North Homebush and Homebush South : the Bridge Road overpass and the Subway Lane underpass .
Schools [edit ]
Homebush Boys High School Homebush Public School
- Homebush Public School, a government primary school, was established in 1885 on its present site between The Crescent, Rochester Street and Burlington Road. Brick buildings were originally built facing The Crescent in 1897 and Burlington Road in 1916.
- Homebush Boys High School was founded in 1936 and is a comprehensive public high school for boys. Formerly a selective high school until the 1970s, Homebush Boys was regarded as one of the academically best-performing comprehensive schools, and has, in the past, been ranked above selective schools on the Higher School Certificate results. The school has an enrolment of approximately 1200 students and the students and staff are from diverse backgrounds and many of them live outside the area.
population [edit ]
At the 2016 census, there were 7,007 residents in Homebush. 30.5 % of people were born in Australia. The future most park countries of birth were India 16.4 %, China 10.5 %, South Korea 8.9 %, Sri Lanka 5.4 % and Nepal 3.4 %. The top responses for ancestry were Chinese ( 16.8 % ), indian ( 15.7 % ), Korean ( 9.0 % ), English ( 8.4 % ) and Australian ( 7.0 % ). 26.6 % of people only spoke English at dwelling. other languages spoken at base included Mandarin 10.7 %, korean 10.2 %, Tamil 9.8 %, yue 5.3 % and Hindi 4.2 %. The most coarse responses for religion were No Religion 24.3 %, Hinduism 23.4 % and Catholic 18.4 %. [ 1 ]
Residents [edit ]
The following were either have a bun in the oven or have lived at some clock in the suburb of Homebush :
gallery [edit ]
- Shops, The crescent
- Former Homebush Post Office, The crescent
References [edit ]
Category : Fashion