Check your eligibility


Applying for a first home owner grant

Check your eligibility

Processing timeframe

due to the large number of applications we receive every day, it is taking clock time to process them. We will let you know a decision a soon as we can. When you apply, make surely you provide all request documents. If you meet the following criteria, you might be eligible for a first home owner grant. Unless you are an owner builder, you must have a signed shrink to buy or build your foremost home before applying.


You ( and any co-applicants for the concede ) are lifelike persons aged 18 years or older .

New home

The home you are buying or construction must be new and valued less than $ 750,000 ( including land ). A fresh home is a post new dwell ( e.g. house, unit, duplex, townhouse ; or granny apartment built on a relative ’ second land ) that has not been previously occupied as a place of residence or sold as a place of residence. The grant may besides be available for :

  • established homes that have undergone substantial renovations before you bought the house
  • homes that have been moved from one site to another, as long as the home has not been occupied since being fixed to the new site (including kit homes, manufactured homes).


You must be an australian citizen or permanent wave nonmigratory ( or applying with person who is ). If you are applying for the grant as a articulation applicant—for exercise, you are not a permanent resident but your spouse is an australian citizen—you may be eligible for the concede if you meet the other eligibility requirements. A permanent resident holds a permanent visa, or is a New Zealand citizen with a especial class visa, as defined by the Migration Act 1958 ( Cwlth ). A New Zealand citizen with a special category visa must have a stream New Zealand pass to be a permanent house physician. You can check if your visa is permanent or impermanent by clicking on its subclass in the visa list. back to top

Previous grant recipient

You or your spouse must not have previously received a beginning home owner concede in any express or district of Australia. If you received a accord that you former paid rear, together with any penalty, you may be able to reapply for the allow .

Previous home ownership

You or your spouse must not :

  • currently own property in Australia that you live in
  • have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in
  • have owned a home before 1 July 2000, whether you lived in it or not.

Investment properties

If you have owned an pastime in residential place since 1 July 2000 that has been entirely used for investment purposes, you may be eligible for the accord on a subsequent property. You will need to show that you have not lived in the investment property by providing testify that covers the integral menstruation of ownership :

  • tenancy or lease agreements
  • electricity or phone accounts
  • tax return details declaring the rental property.

rear to top

Residence requirements

You must move into your brand new home as your principal place of mansion within 1 year of the completed transaction, and live there endlessly for 6 months. You can rent out one or more rooms in the family during your 6-month residency time period, arsenic farseeing as this arrangement doesn ’ metric ton affect your use of the home. however, renting out any rooms in the first base class after you move in may affect your eligibility for the foremost home concession or a first family vacant state concession. While the residency requirements for the award are similar to those for the first home concession, the grant and concession are separate benefits ; you need to meet the requirements in each sheath. For exercise, you can rent the home out before moving in and keep the allow, but you may lose the first home concession. You may be required to verify that you have met these requirements later, by providing documentation supporting the period of occupation for all applicants. Compare the requirements for first base concessions and the first base family owner grant .

Disqualifying criteria

tied if you meet the eligibility criterion, there are some circumstances that may stop you from getting the grant. For example :

  • you are a trust or company (i.e. not an individual)
  • the new property (home and land) is valued at $750,000 or more
  • you enter into an arrangement to get the grant, but don’t use it to buy a new home
  • you held an interest in residential property before 1 July 2000, regardless of how the property was used
  • you buy or build your new home with financial help from a related person (who is not eligible for the grant) who will also stay in the home often, for long periods of time, or for genuine family reasons. (Money borrowed from a bank or lending institution is not considered to be financial help.)

If there is a disqualifying arrangement, we will not pay the grant. If the grant has already been paid, you will have to repay it. In exceeding circumstances, the Commissioner of State Revenue may use discretion in relative to some eligibility criteria. For example, if you :

  • are under 18 years of age
  • move into the home after 1 year
  • live in the home for less than 6 months.

Take the full eligibility test

back to top

More information

reference :
Category : Education

Related Articles

Check Also
Back to top button