Table of Contents
For the poem published by the Greek poet Nikos Gatsos, see Nikos Gatsos § Select bibliography Amorgos ( greek : Αμοργός, Amorgós ; pronounced [ amorˈɣos ] ) is the easternmost island of the Cyclades island group and the nearest island to the neighboring Dodecanese island group in Greece. Along with 16 neighboring islets, the largest of which ( by down area ) is Nikouria Island, it comprises the municipality of Amorgos, which has a land area of 126.346 squarely kilometres ( 48.782 square miles ) [ 1 ] and a population of 1,973 ( 2011 census ) .
geography [edit ]
Satellite double of Amorgos
Reading: Amorgos – Wikipedia
due to its side near the ancient ionian towns, such as Miletus, Halicarnassus and Ephesus, Amorgos became one of the first places from which the Ionians passed through to the Cycladic Islands and onto the greek mainland .
history [edit ]
Acropolis of Arkessini Throughout history, Amorgos was besides known as Yperia, or Platagy, Pagali, Psichia, and Karkisia. [ citation needed ] Amorgos features many remnants of ancient civilizations. At the time of Archaic Greece, there were three autonomous city-states there. They are believed to have featured autonomous constitutions but the same currentness. Amorgos is distinguished by the size and quality of the walls surrounding the city of Arkesini, the ancient towers whose remains are scattered around the island, ancient grave, stone tools, inscriptions, vases and by other antiquities. due to the name Minoa, it is suspected that Amorgos had been colonized by the Cretans from ancient times, [ citation needed ] but there is no archaeological testify supporting this scene. [ 2 ]
early Cycladic period [edit ]
Dokathismata figurine, Early Cycladic II, Syros phase ( 2800–2300 BC ) about a twelve offprint inhabited centres are known in this period. Amorgos is the lineage of many celebrated Cycladic figurines. ‘ Dokathismata style ’ figurines were in the first place found here. Cycladic sculptures had been discovered from the cemeteries at Aghia Paraskevi, Aghios Pavlos, Dokathismata, Kapros, Kapsala, Nikouria and Stavros. [ 3 ] ‘Kapsala Cycladic figurines ‘, dating around 2700 B.C., are named after a find place in Amorgos. This is the earliest of the ‘canonical types ‘ – a reclining female with fold arms. They tend to have slender and elongate proportions. At this time, anatomical reference features such as arms are modeled three-dimensionally. With the late types, sculptors tended to render this feature with engraved lines. [ 4 ] ‘Dokathismata Cycladic figurines ‘ date from a slightly later menstruation of 2400–2100 BC. Compared to the statuettes of the Spedos type—the most coarse and celebrated type of figurines featuring finely modeled and slightly rounded shapes—the statuettes of the Dokathismata type tend to have a more slender and sometimes angular silhouette .
classical period [edit ]
separate of the island is named Aspis, where the ancient temple of the goddess Aphrodite stood. In approximately 630 BC, the poet Semonides led the basis of a Samian colony on Amorgos. The Periplus of Pseudo-Scylax mentions it as Tripolis. It was a member of the Delian League. [ 5 ] It participated in the second Athenian League. [ 6 ] In 322 BC, Athens and Macedonia fought the naval Battle of Amorgos. Heraclides Lembus wrote that the island produced much wine, a well as olive anoint and fruits. [ 7 ] With the passage of meter, the island ‘s name changed to Amolgon and Amourgon .
Byzantine, Ottoman and Modern [edit ]
In the fifth century, Bishop Theodore, who attended a synod in Constantinople, signed as Bishop of the Parians, Sifnians, and Amoulgians. It was known as Yamurgi during Ottoman rule between 1566 and 1829. On 9 July 1956, a large earthquake occurred that generated a local tsunami of up to 30 meter ( 98 foot ). The shock had a moment magnitude of 7.7 and had a maximal Mercalli intensity of IX ( Violent ). fifty-three people were killed and 100 were injured .
government [edit ]
horizon of Tholaria village Street of Langada village The names of the three cities given by Stephanus Byzantinus are Arkesini, Minoa, Aigiali or Melania which, according to inscriptions, are the most compensate. The three towns are on the island ‘s west seashore because that is where bays and natural ports that could provide the proper put for seaside towns and forts exist.
Read more: What Does Niche Mean in Ecological Biology?
Aigiali was on the north East Side of the island close to the introduce day locations of Tholaria and Stroumvos and to this day can still be found there. Minoa is situated at the center of the northerly side near the present day greenwich village of Katapola and Arkesini close to the contemporary lowland location Kastri. Excavations and findings, specially burial tombs, prove the acute presence of Amorgos during the prehistoric years, particularly during the first menstruation of Cycladic civilization ( 3200 to 2000 BC ) .
Cinema and democratic culture [edit ]
The island was featured in Luc Besson ‘s movie The Big Blue ( 1988 ), in which Agia Anna and the monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa can be seen. The island was besides featured in Giorgos Kordelas ‘ film Ariadni ( 2002 ). [ citation needed ]. Amorgos has been referenced on-line ascribable to the similarity of its appoint to that of the video game Among Us. [ 8 ]
municipal districts [edit ]
The municipality of Amorgos is subdivided into the come communities ( population at 2011 census and component villages within brackets ) :
historical population [edit ]
|Year||Village population||Municipality population|
climate [edit ]
Amorgos has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate with balmy temperatures all year .
|Climate data for Aigiali, Amorgos (3m)|
|Average high °C (°F)||14.9
|Average low °C (°F)||10.8
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||179.2
|Source: http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/amorgos/ (2019 – 2020 averages)|
Landmarks [edit ]
The monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa. The monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa is situated on the cliffside, northeast of Chora. It was built early in the second millennium in order to protect a religious icon, dating from the year 812, from intruders. The icon is on public display inside the monastery. opening prison term for visitors every day from 8:00 ante meridiem to 1:00 p.m and 5:00 post meridiem to 7:00 p.m. Visitors have to be dressed in a specific way in order to enter. Men have to wear long trousers and women a skirt or a wrap around shift down to the knee, not trousers. The chemise may, however, be worn over trousers. As of July 2012, the monastery is active and houses three practicing monks. tourism is increasing lento, although the island ‘s geographic features prevent multitude tourism. It is accessible only by boat. The three independent tourist accommodations are located in Katapola, Aegiali and Chora. Hiking paths are relatively well maintained. other activities include aqualung dive, free-diving, and visiting the island ‘s beaches ( although this is n’t its chief drawing card, like other Greek islands ). Another landmark in the area is a group of windmills that can be seen on a hill above Chora. A match of them can be visited, while others are either lock or in ruins. It ‘s easy to reach the location either by car or on foot, going through Chora. There is no admission to enter the area. [ 9 ]
See besides [edit ]
References [edit ]
Sources [edit ]
- Saint-Guillain, Guillaume (2001). “AMORGOS AU XIVe SIÈCLE. Une seigneurie insulaire entre Cyclades féodales et Crèle vénitienne”. Byzantinische Zeitschrift (in French). 94 (1): 62–189. doi:10.1515/byzs.2001.94.1.62. ISSN 0007-7704. S2CID 191576963.